Upgraded to 8 mbps but link not stable now.

• Thread starter Thread starter nsdataone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 6,797

nsdataone

ISP
DataOne
Hello. I upgraded my DataOne Home 500 plan to Business 2000 plan with 8 mbps and it is really that much fast, rather it connects at 10 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

https://www.speedtest.net

I am getting full speed on both but now link is not stable.

Exchange where DSLAM is some 2 kms away from my home and MT882 is my modem.

SNR for downstream is now 8-9 and for upstream it is 6-7. For old Home 500 2 mbps plan it used to be 33.5 for downstream and 19.9 for upstream and that link was fully stable. Attenuation is same as before at 41.5 for downstream and 21 for upstream.

I tried both D.GMT and ADSL2+ mode but almost same result. For the first hour, it disconnects ever 2-3 minutes, then it becomes a bit stable and disconnects every 15-20 minutes. Disconnection is usually when I am downloading or browsing lots of sites. When net is just ideally connected without use, it remains mostly stable.

Line has no noise or joints and 2mbps used to work perfect on same line without any physical changes.

Any solutions to improve SNR and link stability? Local BSNL peoples here are not that much aware even about this SNR thing and I doubt that low SNR is culprit here. Or anything else ?

Any modem that can stay stable on such low SNR?

Please suggest. I see that there are lots of tech. peoples here.

Thanks
NS

Welcome to Broadbandforum.in.
Attn is high . see my data for MT882 . I am about 400 meters from the exchange as "the crow flies " cable distance can be more. say about 1KM or more.
See this thread and download the booster.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/22822-any-lo-snr-adsl-router/

Attn is same as it used to be on Home 500 plan and that worked perfectly. I am some 2-2.5 kms away from exchange.

Set your modem to work on G.DMT only. The max speed supported by G.DMT is 8mbps and when u set the modem to G.DMT u will get synched with the exchange at 8mbps (not at 10mbps). That hopefully should reduce the disconnections.

Ok i understand u have mentioned in your post that u have tried g.dmt, but i ask u to keep it like that for some days and see if there is any improvement.

Yes, I kept G.DMT too but I found that ADSL2+ is a bit more stable. G.DMT showed stability for the first time only but then it was disconnecting too frequently and ADSL2+ still goes a bit stable. Tried BitSwap enabling and FDM mode too but had to change to EC and disble BitSwap as it did not affect at all.

Also once settings are changed, changes do not show effect instantaneously ? or it may take days like you said set G.DMT for some days.

One more thing. Setting in G.DMT also do not strict it to 8 mbps it still connects in downstream at 9000+ kbps only. I also supposed that G.DMT should force it to 8 mbps

From Huawei website for Mt882
Data Transmission Rate
ADSL: Downstream up to 8 Mbps, Upstream up to 896 Kbps
ADSL2+: Downstream rate of 26 Mbps, upstream rate of 1M bps
G.992.5 Annex L: Max. transmission distance of 6.5 kilometers

BSNL works on G.DMT (hence the max supported download speed of BSNL is 8mbps). Theoretically G.DMT should be supporting a max of 8 mbps only. The higher the downstream the more unstable the connection (because of the drastic drop in SNR). Also it might take sometime for the changes to be effectively set.

@cool_techie_tvm/Even though i have selected muti mode in adsl settings in summary it shows G dmt .This is for info ( modem Mt882 )@nsdataone What it shows in summary page ? if you select multimode.and also the speed set ?

Thanks :) When multimode is selected, the modem checks with the DSLAM and gets configured by itself automatically as programmed on the DSLAM. In other terms, since BSNL implements G.DMT, they program the DSLAM to work in G.DMT mode only. When we set multimode, the modem requests for the ADSL modulation method from the DSLAM and since G.DMT is set as the default in DSLAM, the modem also gets synched using G.DMT. Its a good practice to set the modem modulation on Multi/Auto. Because whenever some change is done on the DSLAM by BSNL, those changes are reflected the next time the modem synchs with the exchange.

Back