Urgent!! Mobile phone theft. what needs to be done after theft? Please help

• Thread starter Thread starter breakyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 12,858
When my phone got stolen last May (53 weeks ago to the day, I think), I had to:

[*]Call Vodafone, report the SIM as stolen
[*]File an FIR, detailing the IMEI of the phone (just in case)
[*]Go to Vodafone store and get a new SIM for Rs99
[/list]
Since my phone started up with my website address, I thought I should post a note with a reward (I genuinely offered Rs 1 lakh for information leading to return or direct return) - just in case someone saw it and decided to visit, but no one did :( Oh well, their loss!

My new phone has at least 3 anti-theft features turned on:

[*]A custom written alarm (in Python), using the proximity sensor conveniently included with the phone - goes off within 2 seconds if the device is not unlocked and disables the off button and the phone itself becomes slightly less trivial to unlock once the alarm goes off... they'd have to remove the battery, by which time I'd be able to catch them because the alarm is quite loud, and I'm a complete prick when people wrong me.
[*]I also have PhoneLocator which updates the phones location by GPS every few minutes (got this idea from a guy who recovered his stolen iPhone by zeroing in on the GPS signal with a laptop and map... he caught the guy red handed at a bus stop. If it'd been me, I probably would have done more than just take the phone back).
[*]The phone also has a lock code which is activated if the SIM is changed, effectively bricking the phone. And updating the firmware or resetting to defaults with *#7370# doesn't get rid of it - I tried :)
[/list]
Basically the first alarm should be enough to cause the thief to drop/attempt to hide the phone... or run away. Very quickly.

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Unfortunately, service providers in India don't brick the phone when you report the IMEI as stolen. They should, but they don't.

I remember a situation when AIRCEL's representative asked my dad to change the status from "stolen" to "lost" - so that no FIR will be needed while issuing the new SIM (though many years ago)

its for your safety to give a complaint for lost mobile in nearest police station, this way you save yourself from getting blamed for illegal calls done from your number.I lost SIM once and instantly gave the written information (tehreer) to police station, although they were reluctant to do so, but some inspector friend name was enough to get it done in few minutes.if you are not getting a duplicate sim easily, its better to spare few minutes for police complaint.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I got me a new phone, the E63 and loving it. I do miss my stolen phone sometimes, but sadly nothing can be done about it.

Hmm yeah it sure feels a bit sad i understand! But please keep your new phone safe and keep it locked at all times using a Lock code! You can set it to lock after a particular duration! If possible set something like erasing all your personal data if you enter the lock code wrong 'n' times... Good luck man! And take mobile insurance if you want!

going through the same issue/experience folks :(Thankfully a low-endish phone but loved the battery I had in it. Gave me roughly 5 days of backup, although have to mention the display was CSTM.

Back