using my linksys modem instead of the beetel 220

simplythebest

ISP
airtel
I just got an airtel connection.When I was with tata:madness:, I didn't use the modem they gave me.Can I do the same with Airtel?The line man connected the beetel to my Linksys with a lan port.But I have only 4 lan ports, and with the beetel connected on one, I have only 3 left now. (I have 2 comps plus a couple of nas devices)I tried connecting the linksys directly, under PPPOE and put the username , password etc.But it doesn't connect.Does airtel only work if the mac address matches their modem?Anything else I can try?... thanks for the help

members/simplythebest/
Welcome to Broadbandforum.in.
Plase mention the model number of your Linksys router.
Connect the LAN cable to WAN port of Linksys.Still you will have 4 lan ports
Or you can use the USB port of Beetel 220BX also.

Does airtel only work if the mac address matches their modem?
Negative. Any Adsl modem will work . Change VPI/VCI to 1/32 and usual ID PW etc.

members/simplythebest/
Welcome to Broadbandforum.in.
Plase mention the model number of your Linksys router.
Connect the LAN cable to WAN port of Linksys.Still you will have 4 lan ports
Or you can use the USB port of Beetel 220BX also.

Negative. Any Adsl modem will work . Change VPI/VCI to 1/32 and usual ID PW etc.

Thanks for the reply.

My modem is a Linksys WAG200G

I tried connecting the Linksys directly and changed the VPI/VCI to 1/32 andID password etc.

Still doesn't connect. Does airtel register the MAC address? Anything else I should change?

How can I connect the lan from Beetel to the WAN? Do ihave to get a new cable? They seem to be different sizes.

Thanks a lot

Which Modulation Type have you selected? Try everything, like MultiMode, G.DMT, G.Lite/etc.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1492/65886069ue0.png

Try both G.Dmt and ADSL2+.:)

Thanks for all the help.I did a master reset of the modem, and it worked!Don't know why...Is this always required when changing ISPs?I realised something was wrong when I went to the administration page of the modem, and was able to ping outside sites.But was not able to ping from the computer. Tried everything like changing ip and default gateway on comp, but once i did a master reset of the modem, it started working.Thanks again

Back