UT300r2u related questions

heavenhated

ISP
bsnl
Hi GuysI have been using UT-300R2U for a while. I have never tried port forwarding etc. But now i am moving to the 500 C plan and would like to make use of the nightly downloads. I cant port forward since i have a firm ware that ddoenst show up the VS options.I even tried uploading new firmware and basically bricked the modem.Luckily the local JTO is a good friend of mine and he replaced it again with the same modem. :)Now i wanted to know a couple of questions1) Is there a specific model that i can request from BSNL that will definitely come with Virtual server option2) I dont want to do bridge coz my dad , bro and my family uses a couple of laptops in mac and bridge will just be a problem for them.3) I dont want to do DMZ.I have searched a lot and couldnt find answer for question 1.Please suggest me a modem so i can get the VS set upVj

May i ask you something? Why are you not comfortable with the DMZ option?

I really dont want to try the DMZ option for the risks that comes with it. I do not want to expose my system as my whole family uses the same. Instead if i can set up Virutual servers atleast i can just open a specific port and monitor. Please someone suggest me a modem form BSNL which i can get it from my JTO here. I just need the modem model/type which has the VS option. my current modem does not have the VS opption and i have already bricked once trying to achieve the same Hoping to hear from someone here. Please Vj

By enabling DMZ on your IP, only your PC is exposed fully to the internet. Using a software firewall will reduce the threats to your PC.Anyways, have you tried upgrading your router with routertech firmware? It is a generic firmware that is released with additional functionality. You have to find out whether your modem can be upgraded with routertech firmware. Again, i warn you, flashing your modem with incorrect firmware will convert it into an expensive piece of brick. And i am unaware about the present generation modems given away by BSNL. Hence, i cannot assist you with that peculiar niche.

DMZ with a really good firewall like zonealarm is a good option as mentioned above , you need not worry if you use a good firewall , windows firewall is not enough though

Thanks guys. @essbebe Thanks for that detailed message. My JTO is on leave but he already said he will search for any of the mentioned modem and give me the same. So i hope on of the modem has that virtual server option. also he said he will check it in exchange itself as i gave him a print out of what i was looking. So i hope i get one which i can use to Port forward through virtual server as i move from 750 to home 500 plan. I wanna smell more HD movies as i change my plan :_)

Back