Wanna get an MTNL connection - Router advice please

• Thread starter Thread starter bmanrockz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,933

bmanrockz

ISP
Local
Hi all...my first post...i am thinking of getting an MTNL broadband for home use and, of course, am going for the NU option.I have more than one computers in my house so it makes sense to go for a wireless router. According to MTNL, if i buy their router, i gotta pay 150/- per month for that. Add the 849/- p.m. for the plan itself, and its almost a 1000/- bucks.Is it recommended to buy my own router? It would be a one time investment and i won't need to shell out the 800/- one time charge + 150/- each month.But MTNL also says that in case i procure my own router, they don't support troubleshooting it (reasonable). Please tell me according to your experiences, if its better to go for my own router or get it from MTNL...thanks a million...cheers!

I think it makes sense to go with MTNL's router at first. So that it makes easier to troubleshoot things. If things are working fine then you can buy your own. By the way, Wireless router + ADSL Modem/router will cost you around 4k.

Buy your own IMO.They provide shitty routers fallen in their godown since ages.You don't even recieve a choice whether as to select a modem.And why do you need the MTNL guys when we guys are here to help you?;).And the engineers would rarely visit your house,And I MEAN IT.So better off with some known brands wireless router.IMO and according to polls "Buffalo" seems pretty good.

u can get ur own router.Jsut down mess up with firmware.I am using ut-starrcom modem for past 1 year and i have absolutely no problems.as for trouble shooting we will help u.

I use Linksys Wireless Router WAG200G using which I have hooked 4 computers on the same internet connection. The setup is quite simple and hassle free.

MTNL routers are not bad quality at all.

yeah, i think MTNL routers would be just fine.and if you dont happen to like it, you can buy your own router later.

I think it makes sense to go with MTNL's router at first. So that it makes easier to troubleshoot things.

If things are working fine then you can buy your own.
Is this possible in Mumbai?
I was trying to do it 4 months ago,but Lady at 1500/1504 said go to exchange,
exchange said go to main exchange at Prabhadevi and give appln,

No one came to collect it from me..........No exchange will accept it
if I take it to them :(

I am sold on the Linksys Router...i have talked to MTNL representatives about getting a connection and i agree that these guys are not gonna be of much help troubleshooting anything...so i might as well get my own router....Linksys WAG200G sounds the best of the lot, but i am checking online sites and the price of this one varies from 4600/- (ebay.in) to 9000/- (rediff) :confused:like they say..."the truth is out there"...

Back