Waze Updates

sadly most of the new changes require you to have friends who are also using waze. though the primary new feature addition removes the need to have Glympse installled!

Few thoughts.
Google Maps has far more users than Waze. So if Google wanted to gain from the collaboration features, they could have added them to Google Maps app itself.
There is no guarantee that Waze would retain its current loyal user base if the deal is finalized. A lot of people use Waze because they do not like Google tracking their movements (or whatever).
Running Waze independently, fragments a brand new service offered by Google. Of course, they can migrate Waze to Google Maps API and use the data collected from it on both the platforms but still… Google already has enough fragmentation problem with their products and services.
The only thing makes sense is to block a deal with Apple or Facebook or even Nokia… But USD 1.3 billion for that? I hope they have a long term plan with Waze.
I stopped using Waze personally after they started sleeping around with Facebook. Hopefully, Google acquisition would change that and we would get integration with Google+ instead. Woo!

Better user interface.
Support for new location API for better battery performance.
Remove all that Facebook integration crap and add Google+!
Replace Waze maps with Google Maps depending upon the region.
Provide same level of integration with Google Now and other Google properties like Google Maps!
My wishlist for Waze!

The question is... Was Waze becoming a big enough player to challenge Google Maps? Or did Google purchase Waze just to stop it from getting acquired by a competitor.
Answer to Question No. 1: Nope. Waze had 40 million users. And most of these were gained when Apple removed Google Maps from iOS 6.
Answer to Question No. 2: I am not sure if paying more than one billion dollars was just to prevent Waze from getting acquired by Facebook. Apple has already said that they were not interested in Waze. Facebook is not even a mapping company. As for Nokia, I do not think they have publicly shown interest in Waze. However, now all of these would support the investigation and claim that Google is hurting the competition. Point to be noted here... Nokia does not even bother to offer their Here app on Android devices. Same with Apple Maps.
Another reasonable question is... Whether Google Maps has a monopoly on mapping. Waze is mostly focused on mobiles so desktop market share can be ignored. On mobiles, Google Maps comes only on Android by default. Apple has around 40% market share. Windows Phone could have a market share of a few percentage. Apple and Nokia does not offer their mapping on Android. Google does not offer mapping on Windows Phone. Apple does not offer mapping on either Android or Windows Phone. The market is competitive enough.

Back