What to do if someone ‘accidentally’ sends you money through UPI?

Few days ago read a post on reddit. This issue happened with someone and he didn't reversed it fearing scam, the sender registered an FIR claiming scam. This FIR could come up in background checks and create a lot of problems for jobs, visa etc.

I mean WTF is this BS Police doesn't even want to register FIR when you actually get scammed, even if your persist they just take a unofficial complaint in their diary but sometimes they just do register FIR without any verification.

And how bank can reverse payment without consent of the customer. Its a big problem when it happens with elder people.

Whole system is rotten.

I was talking about the Govt in general. It's rotten to the core. Police will harass the shit out of you, when you approach them with valid concern (like registering FIR)

I had a recent good experience with police but you need to be connected or some one dies only then you can hope for an FIR.

After that you have to deal with court system which take forever and will cost a lot of money.

The whole legal system is broken in this country. It only works for very wealthy people.

Last edited:
Early this month, young man was supposed to send me 1k. My number ends with XX. But, he sent to a similar number ending with YY. I called YY and explained the situation and got the money back.

Similar incident happened about a year ago when I was the recipient of the wrong money. In that case too, it was due to mismatch in the mobile number. Just one digit. Both the sender and the other party kept calling me. I kept my mobile in silent mode on that day. When I finally saw all the missed calls and the unaccounted money, I understood the situation and promptly sent the money to the person who was supposed to receive. The money involved was around Rs.500.

In a scam, the issue arises when we sent back the money to the original sender who may file a case and get the money legally too. When the money is sent to the person who is supposed to receive, then the middleman can file a legal complaint too assuming he is willing to go through our legal system and the local / cyber police actually takes a complaint. Scammers usually have a tie-up with the local / fake police and are quick to file a complaint.

Just a thought, if the sender files a complaint with their bank for reversal, your bank has to inform you before proceeding right?

Do people not see the name when the number pops up? Isn't it safer to use a custom UPI ID than to have phone numbers, as one is less prone to have incorrect account show?

Back