Why doesn't BSNL SIP register on native Android SIP dialer but on third party apps?

ISP
BSNL FTTH, Jio
I use a Netlink router provided by BSNL. I successfully configured Voice internet on the same broadcast as the normal internet and SIP client apps such as Zoiper, GS wave lite etc etc.
But the native Android SIP dialer never registered on any of the UI provided by Samsung, Xiaomi, Realme and a friend using OnePlus.
Whenever I try to register SIP, I get a message saying SIP registration failed.

I contacted the customer care of netlink for help and their answer was ' You said that third party softwares working fine with SIP calls in your Mobiles So that's clear it's not our device issue.
Maybe You can check with Mobile companies that this particular calling feature in their android mobiles support through wifi. '

I am pretty sure it has something to do with NAT settings as it seems to mess up ALG for SIP. That's because I tried registering zoiper without ALG and it still works fine.
Could someone help me with this ?
Are other company routers compatible other than the normie netlink, Syrotech, Alphion routers? Say TP-Link Archer XR500V / TP link XN020 - G3V or Huawei or Nokia or any other GPON ONT VOIP router? So that I can buy that one of this one blows up sometime.
This router is pretty good. I get 90 Mbps on 60 Mbps plan on 2.4 GHz band😂

Ok. I figured it out.
SIP ALG should be turned off.
It is broken.
Now I can make calls on native Android.

Are you sure you can make calls from your mobile handset (using the native dialer)with ALG off? Can you tell me what is your handset? With ALG on my Redmi 4 doesn't even register (i.e with native caller) but it registers after turning off ALG. After registering when I try to make a call it just uses the mobile network, no menu is presented whether I want to use the VoIP gateway before the call is put through.

On a separate note with ALG off, are you able hear the other party using Zoiper? I can't hear the other party with ALG off.

No. I couldn't make calls. There were call drops after first few calls.

ALG essentially blocks port 5060. But if you bind your service to a port, the port opens up. But you can't use the other service. Hence the phone has no internet. This means, still an Android phone client won't register because it detects that it has no internet access. But in zoiper it will make calls because it uses random port function for listening instead of port 5060.
I installed Csipsimple for making calls directly from phone dialer, even that uses random port for listening.

If you are so interested in making it work, I have a simple plan.
Buy a dual WAN router and connect the binded LAN port to it. It will work.
Or else, buy a cheap router 800-900 INR, which could even support an old version of OpenWRT and switch one LAN to WAN port. And connect the service binded ports to it.
It will work.
I guess. If NAT is not that strict.
Just make sure you can flash the official firmware back if it gets bricked. It's mostly easy as router company don't care I guess.
I don't think a virtual LAN will work if you want to keep ALG on. But if you are going to do it, you should use it in bridge mode instead of route and install siproxd for making SIP work behind NAT.
The ONTs available have such poor firmware, and I don't even want to upgrade firmware because I don't want to fall on the feet of the OLT guy.

Ok Let us forget about native dialer, I read some where its implementation is broken.

I have a working setup on my mobile phone using BSNL sip server, using Zoiper. However this requires ALG to be enabled. I can make and receive calls, hear other party without any issues. I have a static route added on the device for VoiP gateway.

However I need to disable ALG for the sake of another application. When I disable ALG Zoiper can make calls - the other party hears me but I can't hear them.

Can you let me know whether you have ALG enabled or disabled and if it is disabled does zoiper work.

May I know which application you are using which requires SIP ALG to be turned off?
I have the same problem of ALG

Last edited:
I would like to know whether your ALG is enabled or disabled, as you have posted a message stating ALG should be disabled as it is broken.

I would also like to know whether BSNL voip works with ALG disabled in your setup i.e via LAN.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot 😅.
May I know which application?
I have enabled it. Because I don't get phone signals for weeks at home and I can't afford to have dropped calls

Back