Why dont we get 1:1 connection?

aviral sangal

Senior
ISP
Tikona
I fail to understand why dont we get 1:1 connection interms of download and upload bandwidth. As per my knowledge the ISP has to pay for every byte that is downloaded on to its network from outside network. And it gets paid for every byte that is uploaded to some other network. So why don't ISP in india offer 1:1 connection? If the uploaded data is more they gonna earn through it.

You mean to say a symmetric connection(upload download same speed) or a 1:1 contention ratio?

Beam offers same speed for both uploads and downloads. Also it doesn't count uploads while calculating FUP so one could set up a seedbox at home with present connection. Don't know about ACT.

DSL has technology limits. VDSL is supposed to handle it well. But most of us are stuck on VDSL.
But then even on FTTH, Airtel is still offering 1mbps upload speeds (based on what I was told on the phone) so I have no fucking idea.

If bandwidth is 1mbps how you want to divide it? 512kbps each or 768kbps download and 256kbps upload? Im sure most of the people will go for later one. Thats why you wont get same upload and download rate.

This is unfortunately the limitation of the technology as a vast number of ISP are still using DSL technology which does not allow 1:1 symmetric bandwidth. For rest of the small ISP / local cable operators these limitations are enforced by their upstream ISP.
However, there is no such limitation on newer technologies like FTTx so anyone who thinks that restricting the upload is going to make any sense are totally wrong. Limiting upload however may decrease the overall network utilization which is always a good thing for ISP.

aviral sangal said:
I fail to understand why dont we get 1:1 connection interms of download and upload bandwidth. As per my knowledge the ISP has to pay for every byte that is downloaded on to its network from outside network. And it gets paid for every byte that is uploaded to some other network. So why don't ISP in india offer 1:1 connection? If the uploaded data is more they gonna earn through it.
This only applies for ISPs that peer at NIXI, and only on the assumption that said bytes are transferred through the public route server at NIXI rather than through the private links between each other.So no, not really. The majority of ISPs excepting the biggest ones pay significant chunks of cash for downloading over peered links.Also, hate to burst your bubble xserver, but FTTX has upstream limitations too - fully utilized GPON is only half the speed up as it is down. Given the overall data rates available on fiber, that might not seem like such a big deal, but fairly often the FTTB providers (Beam, ACT, YOU etc) are using GPON to get to the building then from there it's simple Ethernet, so the limitation exists under both sets of circumstances.

mgcarley said:
This only applies for ISPs that peer at NIXI, and only on the assumption that said bytes are transferred through the public route server at NIXI rather than through the private links between each other.So no, not really. The majority of ISPs excepting the biggest ones pay significant chunks of cash for downloading over peered links.Also, hate to burst your bubble xserver, but FTTX has upstream limitations too - fully utilized GPON is only half the speed up as it is down. Given the overall data rates available on fiber, that might not seem like such a big deal, but fairly often the FTTB providers (Beam, ACT, YOU etc) are using GPON to get to the building then from there it's simple Ethernet, so the limitation exists under both sets of circumstances.
I have never mentioned the term "GPON" and if you pulled up GPON then there are both symmetric and asymmetric versions available. I am quite sure that till last year Beam , You, ACT were on simple FTTB network none of which is "GPON".
When i talk about 1:1 , it doesn't mean that the line rate should be 1:1 but i meant that the upload should not kill the downstream as it usually happens in wireless network used by numerous ISP / Local Cable Operators to transport the back haul bandwidth.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]1:1 is for leased business lines i.e no one but you is connected on the network. MTNL provides it and its dam expensive since only one user is there and no sharing is taking place.[/color]
in unleased lines all people connected to it will go offline if anything happens to it. it is 1:10 or 1:20 in crappy ISPs it even higher.

Back