Wierd problem with BSNL router - splitter connection. Anyone faced this ?

ISP
BSNL
My bsnl bb stopped working all of a sudden and complaints did not work as the line man said lines have been checked & cleaned. Since I do a lot of connect/disconnect at the splitter jacks often, presumed that the splitter was the culprit and proving the same, bb worked just fine when I connected the line directly to the router bypassing the splitter & not connecting the landline.Bought a new splitter and much to disappointment, the behaviour of router was the same. Wont work via the new splitter too. (dsl would just keep blinking)Just as a random thought, I switched places of the rj pins on the splitter. Connected the router on the "phone" jack and the landline on the "modem" jack and guess what ? - it worked. Router is connecting just as it should.Any thoughts here ? I tried the same rj jack switch trick on the old bsnl splitter but it did not work.What am i missing here ? Only noticeable difference is under the same G.dmt DSL mode, my SNR margin has now come down terribly to 8.6 downstream which is otherwise around 25 when line is directly connected to the router bypassing the splitter & as well as when things were fine earlier with the old BSNL splitter. I do not have any other devices/additional parallel phones connected before the splitter.Other statistics remain pretty much the same. SNR upstream - 24, attenuation down - 43 (which is around 38 when connected without splitter) & attenuation up - 23. I stay about 3 - 4 kms from the exchange.Thanks for investigating !

Back