Wireless Internet

• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,423
1. Use WPA-PSK instead of WEP which is supposedly crackable as my good friend Max pointed out a while back :P2. Setup a MAC access list and add ur devices to it. This will make it foolproof.

I would but I don't think my wireless chip (Intel 2200BG) supports WPA.... it definitely does not show up in the encryption options.. only WEP.About the MAC access list... tel me if I have this correct.... every networking device (like my wireless router, as well as my laptop's wireless card) has a unique number so to speak called their MAC address.... so essentially I set my router to only allow my wireless card's MAC address, so that even if someone else knows my SSID and WEP key, they won't be able to access my network or steal bandwidth from me.... correct?

ok, was just about to do it, but am a little confused about this note in the help section of the wireless router:Both Ethernet Converter’s MAC address and network device’s MAC address connected to the Ethernet Converter should be entered to allow connection with AirStation.Does this mean I should register the MAC address of both my modem (Beetel 220bx) and the wireless card in my laptop?If so I know I can find the MAC address of the network card by doing ipconfig/all but how do I find it out for the modem?

It's a wireless access list (don't really need an allow list for wired connections if you think abt it :P) An ethernet converter is just a device with which u can connect any comp with an ethernet port to a wireless network, so ignore that bit (unless u happen to have one). So there's no need to add the modem to the list. Just the wireless devices that are gonna connect to the wireless router (intel 2200BG chip in ur laptop and any wireless cards ur using for your desktops).

Back