Zee Dish TV DTH: Plasma TV Aspect Ratio problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter Amuthan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 9,352
Add to that the fact LCD have below average colour, contrast and viewing angle compared to CRT.
Would have been a valid argument a couple of years back. LCD's have come a long way since then.

plasma screen works only on hd channels, u have to wait till channels become HD plasma tv is a future tv it will work when we will have all HD channels{tab tak aise hi aayega}

Would have been a valid argument a couple of years back. LCD's have come a long way since then.

Check this, LCD manufacturers take us all for morons - The INQUIRER
(I realise the article is from Oct. 2004, but find it to be in context even today)

Another article highlighting issues of viewing Standard Definition on High Definition TV's
Reviews of Five HDTVs with Great SD Picture

Either way always do a real world comparision before making a buying descion. Go to a store and connect a source you normally watch say a Satellite Receiver/DVD player to a good 100hz CRT TV and LCD/Plasma of similar size and then compare the quality of picture (Conrast, Colour, Angle, etc.)

100Hz CRT TV's available in India;
Philips 29PT8836/94
Sony KV-DZ29M80
Samsung CS29Z40

Sorry, none of these 100 Hz models are available. All are discontinued. I had the excellent samsung 29 z40 , which the company took it back after refunding the full amount because they couldn't find spare parts or a replacement set. The AV1 and AV2 stopped working after about 10 months due to some electrical problem in my home.

So I have recently bought LG 20" 4:3 LCD model which looks good and the picture quality is good too.

There is a LG 100 Hz model available, but the picture quality in that is not good and it does not support progressive scan.
100Hz CRT TV's available in India;
Philips 29PT8836/94
Sony KV-DZ29M80
Samsung CS29Z40

I realise the article is from Oct. 2004, but find it to be in context even today
I fail to understand how that article can hold any relevance in the current scenario. You simply need to go and watch a demo of some of the LCD sets on offer today from the biggies such as Samsung and Sony and the rapid technological advances made by the industry will be quite apparent.

Another article highlighting issues of viewing Standard Definition on High Definition TV's
LCD HDTV's are not meant for watching low-res content like cable TV and no one ever claimed they were. I was simply responding to the generalisation made you that LCD's are crap.

SD content played back on a huge LCD with a much higher native resolution is bound to look crappy. It's similar to using a stretched 640X480 image as a wallpaper on a 19 inch monitor running at 1920X1080. There will be a lot of visible pixellation and other artefacts. The same image will look much better on a 14inch VGA monitor running at the same resolution as the image.

So, if u mainly intend on watching cable tv, then yea...it's advisable to opt for a 25/29inch CRT.

I fail to understand how that article can hold any relevance in the
current scenario. You simply need to go and watch a demo of some of the LCD sets on offer today
from the biggies such as Samsung and Sony and the rapid technological advances made by the
industry will be quite apparent.
I would'nt have referred the link if I had not compared the two technologies. I also happen to
own TV's (less than a year old) of both these technologies (LCD and 100Hz CRT). Watching a
showcase of High Defination Tecnology with a HD LCD hooked up to HD/Blue Ray content will
obviously make it look better than SD CRT TV.
I was simply responding to the generalisation made you that LCD's
are crap.
Where have I made this generalisation? Read my post again.

You seem to have missed the point of this thread. The Orignal Poster "Amuthan" asks why Standard
Defination content (DTH receiver) looks substandard on his new HD LCD TV's.

My posts and links are relevant to him undestanding why his viewing experience is that way.
We live in the "real world" and in this scenario HD technology means nothing as of today due to
the lack of HD content in India. The end user experience is lacking.

Where have I made this generalisation? Read my post again.
Ok, i did. But for ur convenience:
Add to that the fact LCD have below average colour, contrast and viewing angle compared to CRT.

You seem to have missed the point of this thread. The Orignal Poster "Amuthan" asks why Standard
Defination content (DTH receiver) looks substandard on his new HD LCD TV's.
Weird u would say that, considering he just posted a simple query abt resolving the aspect ratio problem which was resulting in the picture appearing stretched and didn't talk abt SD stuff looking substandard or whatever at all. So u were basically responding to a 2 month old thread, giving buying advice to a person who had already made the purchase and in the process started a CRT vs LCD debate. I had already replied to his query long back and was specifically responding to ur post at the risk of goin offtopic but nevertheless, having a useful discussion. You're on shaky ground here.

Yep, there's a dearth of HD content here. I make do with upscaled DVD's which can't compare with true HD, but look pretty good nonetheless.

Anyway, to each his own. Don't take any of it personally. No further comments from my side. :P

Ok, i did. But for ur convenience:
Your arguement/objections are based on that point and If I didnt say that in the first place then how is it to my conveniance if you change what I say?

Weird u would say that, considering he just posted a simple query abt resolving the aspect ratio problem which was resulting in the picture appearing stretched and didn't talk abt SD stuff looking substandard or whatever at all. So u were basically responding to a 2 month old thread, giving buying advice to a person who had already made the purchase and in the process started a CRT vs LCD debate. I had already replied to his query long back and was specifically responding to ur post at the risk of goin offtopic but nevertheless, having a useful discussion. You're on shaky ground here. Yep, there's a dearth of HD content here. I make do with upscaled DVD's which can't compare with true HD, but look pretty good nonetheless.

I do think of a 4:3 picture looking skewed on 16:9 TV, as being substandard.
Considering that the OP is asking why a 4:3 broadcast looks stretched in 16:9 mode, my observations were to bring more light on the subject of widescreen HD LCD TV's and SD broadcast, beyond just aspect ratio. Even today inspite of technological advances colour, contrast and viewing angles of LCD's are below that of CRT's.
This being a public forum, posts will be read by many people other than the OP and this info. can be helpful to them. Does that put me on shaky ground?

Anyway, to each his own. Don't take any of it personally. No further comments from my side. :P
I dont understand that statement, where does the question of taking anything personally come from?

PS: Yes, we can agree to disagree!

Back