• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 5,112

mreccentric

Addict
I got banned!
ISP
Airtel / ACT / BSNL
My 500GB internal hard drives are nearing the limit. I need to buy an hard disk to store my important documents and photos, videos etc., Please suggest me a good reliable brand (with good warranty if possible). Also, tell me which is better SSDs or HDs? I want it to be reliable. No to Online Storage, since i'm using Airtel!

I am guessing the last part is aimed at me? The thing is simple. Reliability is something that is not guaranteed. You cannot just rely on a hard disk… an external one specially. So, even if you get an external hard disk for backing up your data… Do remember it can go bad at any time. Longer warranty does not guarantee that a product would last for x number of years. It took an office fire for me to stop trusting local media for critical data storage.

Upvote 0
I have 3 copies of everything important on 3 separate disks and also most important on cloud. But keeping the 3 in sync is a nightmare to me...

Upvote 0
buy seagate or western digital .
i will recommend the second one , performance is better than seagate according to my usage i own both .

WD my passport is handy too

WD My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Disk - WD: Flipkart.com

bought this recently and happy with it so far

like admin says , never rely on a single hard disk backup
have atleast 2 identical backups it wont cost u more than 6k this will save u from losing priceless digital files

Upvote 0
Internal drives are constantly spinning (even if green drives used to some extent), so their life I am guessing may not be as good as the external USB thingies that you use once in a week to backup.

Upvote 0
i can back up data from two or more computers, so i dont want an internal hard disk. Moreover, internal hard disks have more risks of virus attack. BTW, it seems like 1TB is virtually enough for Photos and videos. But, don't know. Seagate seems to be quite cheaper compared to Western Digital. Which one to go? Again the point of importance is reliability, i'm okay with the speed.

Upvote 0
Actually I am thinking of additional backup, I already have 1 TB WD ext drive.Generally thinking the internal HDD comes atleast for 3 years. None of my external HDDs survived that much time, I had 4 including this one.I guess the internal HDD is a better option.

Upvote 0
i can back up data from two or more computers, so i dont want an internal hard disk. Moreover, internal hard disks have more risks of virus attack. BTW, it seems like 1TB is virtually enough for Photos and videos. But, don't know. Seagate seems to be quite cheaper compared to Western Digital. Which one to go? Again the point of importance is reliability, i'm okay with the speed.

I think it depends on luck. So far, i have had none fail for me personally - i have seagate and wd external as well as internal. I have one Seagate internal which is 12 years old still running on an old PC.

Upvote 0

Back