Problems with Port Forwarding due to NATing

• Thread starter Thread starter abhaga
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 25,567
ISP
ACT
Hi,
I have been using ACT for almost 2 years now in our office. Since we often need to work from outside, we have a setup with some ports forwarded to access inside machines. Since about 1 month, it has stopped working. Checking the IP on the router, it seems an internal IP is being assigned. Someone mentioned they are NATing all Bangalore connections to some Chennai machine which has public IP.
The most frustrating part is that they will make such changes that are likely to affect so many customers without any announcement, email or any kind of intimation.
Is there a solution they are offering? Can I pay for a static public IP? Without being able to access out machines from outside, the connection is of little use for us.
Regards,
Abhaya

Who told you about this 'NATing to Chennai'?
How did you check the IP address on your router?

I checked the IP address on the router by logging on to the router. It gets an IP of 10.254.. which is a private IP. But on sites like WhatIsMyIP.com, it shows a public IP.
Any solutions?
Thanks,
Abhaya

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using an enterprise class router like cyberoam, you can define ddns for external users. In the configuration you will have 2 options - Port IP or NATed Public IP. You can choose the NAT option.
The other option is to check if DD-WRT supports this configuration. I do not have a DD-WRT router to verify this for you.

Did you contact ACT? What did they say?
Other than the user in the other thread, did anyone else mention that connections are going through Chennai? On another note, many Chennai users report that they have Bangalore IP addresses. The packetsdo not go to Bangalore, but it's strange.
Can you run a traceroute to google.com?

@shr The problem is not in exposing one of my machines outside. I already had Dyndns setup on the router. The problem is that ACT is assigning internal IPs to my router which means some other machine down stream has the public IP. If you were suggesting a solution to this problem, I have a Cisco RV42 router and could not find such an option.
For example, right now, the IP on my router shows as 10.254.51.255 which is an internal IP and not a public IP.
@uberjon It keep fluctuating. I had a public IP in the evening for a while and it has again reverted to an Internal IP. I am not in office right now. Will run a traceroute tomorrow to see which is the next machine on the hop.
I spoke to the ACT guys not about this problem but about getting a static IP. That is only available for plans starting at Rs.3200 per month.
Regards,
Abhaya

I'm on ACT BB for 7 months now. last month they have changed the ip configuration for PPP0e connection (i get assigned 10.x.x.x ip address) But when authenticating using portal.acttv.in I get internet ip (106.x.x.x) and port forwarding works great for me now.. but going through a nother thread, i read that few part of Bangalore, Act has already changed from internet to local ip address(10.x.x.x).

I really hope ACT does not change the ip configuration in my locality! I frequently connect to my machine/Vms from the internet.

Banashakari area has also been confirmed to be tunneling to Vijayavada. I think they did this to most of the city and are now planning to finalise it soon.

I am also getting the same thing in koramangala. It is affecting my VPN and RDP connection. If ACT is not reverting it back then I dont have any choice but to change to other ISP.

I am experiencing the same problem in jayanagar, the public IP is different from the IP displayed on the portal page , where i'm unable to remotely connect to my computer . This was the only great feature of act broadband which they re-branded it to act fibernet and screwedup!!!.

Thinking of changing to a new ISP.............

Back