ADSL router in spite of DSL router

ISP
MTNL Delhi
I have a MTNL broadband at home right now which works with TP-Link W8961ND which is a ADSL 2+ Modem Router. I am changing my broadband to a local service provider and their service guy said that this modem+router wont work with it and I will have to buy a new DSL router. Is this true? Can't this ADSL2+ Modem+Router can be used with their Internet?

I don't think so. The W8968 has a dual LAN/WAN port, but afaik, the 8961 doesn't. The manual doesn't talk about it either.

So I'll have to buy a new one. What should I see while buying? Are they called DSL routers or something else?
One more thing, will I also need a DSL router (or whatever it is called) if I opt for Tikona broadband?

DSL routers are strictly for ADSL i.e mtnl, Airtel, tata and reliance.

Everything else, including tikona, needs a normal wireless router without modem.

Though, I'm not sure why'd you go for tikona, instead of mtnl [emoji14]

Unless, of course, mtnl's in browser ads are the reason.

Out of 24 hours in a day, MTNL doesn't work for 4-5 hours. Facing this problem for last 2 months but they do nothing about it in spite of a dozen of complains every week.

Plus Tikona plans looks good on paper. Although I have read a lot of negative reviews about them but someone from my area told me that its was working fine for him (he has move to a new place now).

Tikona provides 4 Mbps at Rs. 1250/- for 80 GB (512 Kbps post FUP) and a local provider is providing 2 Mbps for Rs 1300/- unlimited. Which one would you suggest?

I would suggest experimenting with Local provider first, and staying away from tikona especially if the local provider is providing connection through Ethernet cable.

Back