Airtel Broadband: Airtel 2mbps problems!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter mneekhrey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 4,652
Yeah, i also noticed that the speed of browsing depends on the trackers. link-removed and TPB trackers were no problem, but when i try to download off some indian torrent sites it slows down my browsing considerably.

Well I would just like to add something here. Well, a slowed browsing seems quite normal to me while torrents are running in the background, though it should not happen on a 2 Mbps connection. I say this because while I was on a 2 Mbps connection with BSNL, my browsing and torrent downloads happened simultaneously without any issues. However I later shifted to a 256 Unlimited conn and that was when all the prob started. So either I was able to surf or download torrents. I guess its normal for a 256 k conn since the bandwidth is consumed immensely, but not sure why this should happen with a 2 Mbps conn...! :confused:

I think it's often advised that you set the upload to 80% of your maximum, otherwise it eats up your bandwith. So, the surfing is fine as long as the upload speed is set to 80%.

hi,Instead of opening a new thread, i thought of posting my problem in the same thread. I recently upgraded my connection from 1mbps to 2mbps(2499 freedom plan). My speed fluctuates between 1.5 to 1.7 Mbps. I have checked like 30 times on speedtest.net. When i contacted the customer care, they sent a technician who after checking the settings told me that that is the max speed I can get. Even on direct downloads, I get max of 200-205 KBps. On torrents, I get max 185 KBps. Shouldn't I be getting the entire 250 KBps/2 Mbps atleast on speed tests and direct downloads? Am I being taken for a ride?ThanksAski

dost... most servers would limit the downloads made by an individual.

you should try out private trackers with torrents which has enough seeders to see what peak you touch.

in the end, the condition of the line and the distance from the airtel center would also matter.

speedtest.net is not very accurate.

expecting 250KBps all the time would be too much to ask on indian infrastructure.

----------

another thing to remember...

TRAI requires ISPs to deliver at least 80% of promised speeds.

- Wolfram|Alpha

airtel usually provide more than the package's promised speed (65-70 can be touched on 512kbps)....

but things can become complicated once you are in mbps regions.

so stay cool. getting 180KBps most of the time is pretty good.

thanks for the quick reply!I was earlier on 1mbps line and I used constantly get 115-130KBps on both downloads and torrents. Even on speedtest.net, i used get 1.01-1.05 Mbps. Now that I have upgraded to 2Mbps, I expect to get atleast 220-225+ KBps speed. So I dont expect speedtest.net to become unreliable all of a sudden. You know what I mean.As per the technician, I am supposed to get between 200-220 KBps. But I dont get it. I just wanted confirmation that I am not the only one facing the speed problem and wanted to know if others are getting the speed that is promised. If so, then there might be something wrong with my connection.

hmmm....during airtel speed boost days....:P i used to get 270to 320 KBps download speed and the speed never declined.....lolzm on 256kbps plan and i get more than promised speed 35 to 40kBps

in the end, the condition of the line and the distance from the airtel center would also matter.

Distance from airtel center might not be relevant as Airtel ONLY provides 2Mbps plans to ONLY those who CAN get it - don't they run various tests to begin with which checks line condition and whether the customer can get this speed based on distance etc?

I know they do such tests for the 16Mbps plan at least.

Expecting 2Mbps download speed all the time is not realistic. Your line may be fine but the server you are downloading from may be loaded or the link to it might be congested etc.......

Back