• Thread starter Thread starter naseem.k
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 14,373

naseem.k

ISP
MTNL Delhi 590 NU Plan
Hi,
I want to buy Nokia N800 handset. Basically this phone is still not available in India. So I am buying it from US. It cost me around 21,000 INR (Handset + two 4GB microSD card). I am not sure will it work in India or not? Carrier type, which it supports, is CDMA and GPS.
So my question is will it work here. I talked to Airtel customer representative and he said that yes you can take Airtel connection both prepaid or post paid on it. Is there any unlocking required?

I need your help guys.

Warm Regards,
Naseem Khan

get an unlocked handset and a gsm one. if u get a cdma version... you might find yourself in trouble.google the phone to see if it has support for indian frequencies. :P

dont get any cdma phones from outside. they wont work here.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So if its GSM phone. Can I unlock it in India?

Originally posted by Sushubh:
google the phone to see if it has support for indian frequencies.

I didn't get that? What do you mean by Indian frequencies? FM radio?

^ gsm operates on different bands- 850, 900, 1800 or 1900 MHz. the major(actually all of them) gsm operators in india operate in the 1800 MHz band.so just look for a phone that would operate on 1800 MHz band.

^ gsm operates on different bands- 850, 900, 1800 or 1900 MHz. the major(actually all of them) gsm operators in india operate in the 1800 MHz band.
so just look for a phone that would operate on 1800 MHz band.

Okay. :) Thanks for your reply.

Rgds,

i think idea was operating on a different band?umm looks like it does not work like a phone?

^ i think idea too uses 1800 MHz band. but hey, who the hell uses idea anyway? :p

all the weird friends i have. i mean the friends i have who are weird ;)

From a wikipedia page:

Most of the GSM operators in India use the 900 MHz band. Operators like , Airtel, Idea, and some others, use 900MHz in rural areas as well as in urban areas where as hutch uses 1800mhz everywhere except in its bpl network

dunno but i had heard that Idea had access to a better frequency range. must be a mistake.

^ :Oi had read in a couple of articles somewhere that most gsm operators india operate on 1800 MHz band. now will have to check [email protected] buy a phone which atleast operates on both 900 and 1800. im sure that no other band is used here.ok, so they operate on 900 MHz in most areas. but they also use 1800 in a few places. so you need 900/1800 both.

Back