Airtel to launch 4G in 3rd week of March!

• Thread starter Thread starter shashankre
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 11,294
I read this article recently and it might explain Airtel's ability to launch 4G so quickly. All they might be doing is upgrading to HSPA+ as of now. Unlikely for it to be an LTE implementation.

"4G phones are supposed to be even faster, but that's not always the case. There are so many technologies called "4G," and so many ways to implement them, that the term is almost meaningless. The International Telecommunications Union, a standards body, tried to issue requirements to call a network 4G but they were ignored by carriers, and eventually the ITU backed down. 4G technologies include HSPA+ 21/42, WiMAX, and LTE (although some consider LTE the only true 4G of that bunch, and some people say none of them are fast enough to qualify.)"

Source:

Highly unlikely as it will be a headache for Airtel to bring in devices compatible in that band. 3G phones and dongles available in India work in 2.1ghz band not in 2.3ghz band. Actually there are no HSPA devices in that band altogether anywhere in the world. To develop an new hspa ecosystem for that band will be rather foolish for any Indian operator.

LTE is much more simpler as 3G equipments brought in India are already more or less LTE ready. Only minor hardware changes are required if BTS is already connected to OFC network. The main problem were LTE-TDD devices but with one or two Chinese dongles already available launch is definitely not a problem.

The spectrum (2500 Mhz) that was auctioned in India is supposed to be compatible with TD-LTE technology. As of today there are no USB modems or handsets commercially launched anywhere in the world that are compatible with spectrum available in India. So Indian ISPs that will offer TD-LTE will get the custom made modems manufactured in China for Indian market.

The LTE that is available in the US by Verizon wireless and for which iPad 3 has been launched is FDD-LTE technology and it needs 700 MHz spectrum. Auction of that spectrum was liely to happen in India in the current financial year but given the Supreme court's orders on 2G scam, that auction is on hold.

BUT all these are just irrelevant issues because given its track record, Airtel will want to price its 4G (TD-LTE) services ar premium to prevailing 3G services and 3G services are so costly. So there may not be many takers for Airtel's 4G services.

I'm still waiting for Reliance Infotel to launch its LTE service. That is the one to watch for because of their tendency to wage price wars in the markets where they enter.

Reliance Infotel is in hand of Mukesh. Who is known for quality and monopoly not for price war. If you don't believe than show the price of petrol at Reliance petrol pump.

mukesh is known for quality and not price war? do you remember when reliance launched their mobile services, the company was owned by mukesh and not anil. anil just inherited it.

Highly unlikely as it will be a headache for Airtel to bring in devices compatible in that band. 3G phones and dongles available in India work in 2.1ghz band not in 2.3ghz band. Actually there are no HSPA devices in that band altogether anywhere in the world. To develop an new hspa ecosystem for that band will be rather foolish for any Indian operator.

LTE is much more simpler as 3G equipments brought in India are already more or less LTE ready. Only minor hardware changes are required if BTS is already connected to OFC network. The main problem were LTE-TDD devices but with one or two Chinese dongles already available launch is definitely not a problem.

Hmm . . . .correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Airtel, as well as almost all 3G operators in India already on HSPA. HSPA+ just requires an upgrade to MIMO. And most 3G devices are HSPA+ compatible. I think users have reported seeing the HSPA+ sign on their devices in India already. LTE devices . . . is there any LTE device available for sale in India. 3G devices were available long before 3G was launched. And I guess that a very large percentage of 3G phones available already support HSPA+.

Am I missing something obvious, or is it much much simpler and cheaper for operators to go 4G via a HSPA+ rebranding vs a complete new LTE ecosystem, given the huge roll out cost they have incurred with the 3G roll out and an absolute abysmal response to 3G plans.

Should be a soft launch, but 4G has no proper definition across the world, cause different countries have diff req, The ITU req was not accepted by many carriers!

Hope the speeds on BWA are close to 100Mbps although its highly unlikely!

Doesnt lte offer higher theoritical speeds as compared to hspa+ ?

It should, but in some places some ppl call HSPA+ as LTE :-(

Vodafone guys had come to our office to sell data cards. One person was telling that they are about to launch 4G compatible USB sticks. They say they have agreement with Airtel to share the bandwidth.

Guys - Just let me know when 5G arrives... I will think about getting a connection ...

Guys - Just let me know when 5G arrives... I will think about getting a connection ...
2018 r 2020 :D

Back