Android Froyo doesn't support video calling???

• Thread starter Thread starter Smriti
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,274

Smriti

ISP
Airtel
Hi guys..I have recently come to know that Android Froyo devices don't support video calling even if they have a dedicated secondary camera.. You can do video calling only through VOIP (like Skype or something). Is this true? I was also told that you have to upgrade to Gingerbread in case you want to activate video calling feature..Please come up with detailed answers as I am really confused...

Interesting ... This is what wiki says:Android does not provide native video calling support, but some handsets have a customized version of the operating system that support it, either via the UMTS network (like the Samsung Galaxy S) or over IP. Video calling through Google Talk is available in Android 2.3.4 and later.So I guess if you have dual camera then ur handset provider should have modified android to support video calling ..

Hi guys..I have recently come to know that Android Froyo devices don't support video calling even if they have a dedicated secondary camera.. You can do video calling only through VOIP (like Skype or something). Is this true? I was also told that you have to upgrade to Gingerbread in case you want to activate video calling feature..

That's correct. Another alternative is to use Tango

video calling i thought was only supposed to work on 3G? in any case, skype and tango should work fine. google talk video calling is only supported in the very latest version.

That's correct. Another alternative is to use Tango

I have a doubt..I think Froyo doesn't even support VOIP coz it doesn't have SIP...Gingerbread comes with SIP support.. Correct?

native support for SIP. you can use your own settings. VOIP works through Skype or any other app. from what i have read on this forum. you can VOIP using Skype even on EDGE.

I have a doubt..I think Froyo doesn't even support VOIP coz it doesn't have SIP...Gingerbread comes with SIP support.. Correct?
2.2 doesn't have inbuilt SIP support - other VoIP clients like Skype will work fine ( personally, I've used Skype over EDGE - works pretty fine). Technically - you can do a video call on EDGE - if you like slideshows as your video :p

2.2 doesn't have inbuilt SIP support - other VoIP clients like Skype will work fine ( personally, I've used Skype over EDGE - works pretty fine). Technically - you can do a video call on EDGE - if you like slideshows as your video :p

That was of great help..thanks..

i have no idea how to do a video call on my nexus s. i always imagined that some app got activated when the phone had 3G connectivity. :D

Back