Anybody else getting miserable speeds lately?

phoenixankit

ISP
Airtel
Delhi people specifically. I'm getting a fourth of the speeds I should be getting when I download from any filesharing website, link-removed or Hotfile or such. And half if downloading from any other HTTP website. Speedtest.net shows the correct speed but that's not accurate because it's latency to my house is 20ms so obviously the speed would be high. I was on the phone with Airtel CC for half an hour and they refuse to admit there's any problem. Anyone else having this problem?

I am getting 40KBps speeds on torrent and 7KBps speed on file sharing on a 2MBps line for some time now :(

May be unrelated but I'm also getting miserable speeds to the USA right now.

Same here. Problems happening since the 1st of March. 3 complaints so far and no real resolution. They told me that there was a problem in the backend and magically my speed was changed to 2 Mbps in their backend, and that has now been rectified to 4 Mbps as it should be. But they are unable to explain how I am getting speeds as low as 150 Kbps even as of today! Today morning I was getting an experience worse than dial up. Am really frustrated with this nonsense.

@phoenixankit: What server are you using at speedtest.net? If you are getting 20ms ping then I assume you are using the Delhi server and you are right of course you will get brilliant speeds there. Now the trick is to explaining it to airtel that we didn't get 2 or 4 Mbps plans only to access Delhi servers at that speed, and to access the rest of the world at 150 kbps.

Well for me I am getting 256kbps, that's what Airtel gives me for 28 days every month :-)

Guys, do this, download Process Explorer, add the 'Network Recieves' and 'Network Sends' columns. Then Click on the network recieves column to sort it that way.
Check if you have the same symptoms as me.

In my PC, 2 svchost.exe processes are continuously receiving (and uploading!) data, albeit at a very low speed. But still significant. Over a 2 hours or so they've recieved 30mb of data.
Now I don't have any processes set to update/download or anything, so this is very suspicious.

I remember having the exact same problem last time, with the exact same conclusion, svchost.exe was continuously downloading stuff to my PC. So I got a bit investigative, downloaded NBMonitor and found out the IP from where this data was coming. A whois search on the IP showed that it was Airtel who was sending and recieving data to/from my computer. I don't know what 30mb of data is coming from Airtel's server into my PC, and what data are they taking, but I'm certainly not comfortable with this.

I ignored it then because it stopped recieving and sending when it reached around 40mb.

This is the older thread I made:
https://broadband.forum/broadband-in-india/55810-suspicious-data-downloaded-from-airtel/

This is the pic

I'm getting a fourth of the speeds I should be getting when I download from any filesharing website, link-removed or Hotfile or such.
Are you using a premium account for any or all of the file sharing sites that you have mentioned? You'll never get full speed from these sites if you are a free user.

Are you using a premium account for any or all of the file sharing sites that you have mentioned? You'll never get full speed from these sites if you are a free user.

ya but 100 to 150KBps are normal on these sites getting only 5 to 7 KBps now.

Back