Applications/ ports got blocked when using Airtel Fiber new ONT in bridge mode

• Thread starter Thread starter kultz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 8,870
ISP
Airtel
Hello members,

I am new to this forum and not a tech expert. So pardon me if I am not able to present the scenario more clearly here.

I have a Fiber FTTH 200mbps Airtel One plan .

I have configured Airtel ZTE ONT in bridge mode with newly bought TP-Link Archer C6 router two weeks back.

Airtel customer care forwarded the request to a local technician, when he could not understand the requirement (earlier Airtel technicians used to be super bright, nowadays everything is managed by Airtel backed team via TR69), he got in touch with NOC. Then they updated ZTE ONT from the backend (surprisingly, no change could be noticed in its GUI by me).

As per Airtel NOC team, ZTE ONT's LAN 4 port was now in the bridge. I have put PPPoE in my TP-Link router and got the WAN IP successfully.

Everything worked great for some moments until I realised that several applications and ports were blocked. Now Airtel VoWiFi, Ring video doorbell stopped working, and some streaming apps struggled to connect. I have spent many hours trying to open those ports in my TP-Link router with different diy helps, but no luck.

When I tried another internet connection with TP-Link, everything worked perfectly. So the conclusion is Airtel ONT in bridge mode is not allowing all ports traffic, and there is no way to port forward or open port in this scenario.

I was trying different scenarios and struck another config of using TP-link router WAN in dynamic IP mode with Airtel ZTE ONT. TP-Link got ip from Airtel ZTE Ont DHCP and connected to internet. In this scenario all those blocked application worked smoothly.

Now I am confused. If I should revert to Airtel ONT being the WAN termination point and use TP-Link router as AP or as DHCP/AP, this would give double NAT for sure and a bad news for Xbox game pass :)

If someone can help open those ports in bridge mode config, or guide me if I have configured the WAN wrong in TP-Link Archer C6 router.

Ps: In bridge mode, I was getting two WAN IPs. One through Airtel ZTE ONT, if I use its LAN port or WiFi directly, another via TPlink PPPoE connection. So basically I was able to connect two PPPoE connection with Airtel and got two EPs via same connection.

You are using the black router by airtel

I have the Nokia G2425 on bridge mode. The landline doesn't work for me either, but that's some config issue. I haven't bothered with it as my internet is working absolutely fine.

BTW, how much did you get the ring for?

Where did you place the request? As for me, I had placed the same at 121 they forwarded the request to loc. But the loc team has no idea about that.

I raised it on 121, the enginner visited, had a word with NOC to configure it, and it was working all good. Just that my landline isn't working, but I haven't bothered them.

Back