Audio Players

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 10,114
Does Amarok allow you to define custom tags and display them as you wish with viewschemes (panes) ?

This is how Amarok looks on Windows (not released yet).

BTW, has anybody used musikCube. Don't be square.? How is it?:

hey @gregory_house: can you open/build amarok source code under visual studio express??? cool, i need to download it then :)

BTW, has anybody used musikCube. Don't be square.? How is it?:

Hehe, if thats where Amarok is then its quite a few years behind the state of the art of my preferred media manager for several years now.

Another close competitor is Helium

Music Cube is still not there yet, oh its nice if you have a few thousand files but any more and it will croak, the tags & viewschemes is as primitive as Amarok.

The only thing that Amarok has going for it is the web integration with 3rd party websites but that advantage is getting slowly eroded by the other pay for managers.

i am somewhat liking the windows media player in vista. :P dont kill me for saying that. searching is nice and fast.

I did try jriver. But as I have mentioned earlier, it does not support multiple track artists, multiple composers etc. Am currently trying out musikCube. It is very interesting and is similar to jriver on a basic level. And the source code is available which can be modified. Only problem is hundreds of lines of code need to be tweaked to get it to compile cleanly under VS2005.Will stick to QMP till I find something as good.

^^ehh? I don't beleive this - you are comparing a non-free music player worth $40 with a FREE, OPEN SOURCE one. Anyways, if tagging really means rating ( as in rating an album or a track) then yes Amarok has it and you can sort/view by rating. While we are at it, you can now tell if if these things are possible in "J River Media Center"

[*] Storing playing history information in a database backend and using it hueristically.
[*]TOTAL remote control using command-line/scripts (so you can fetch the lyrics of the song you're currently listening to and put in on say, active desktop)
[*]Fetching information about the band/track/album from wikipedia
[*]Mass id3 tag editing, features like "set id3 tag from filename pattern" where filename pattern could be permutations of Artist/track number/album name etc. These patterns can also be user defined
[*]Global hotkey support (and going by how complicated X's architecture is - is not an easy task)
[*]search keywords in search bars, so you can say "directory:bela fleck" if your tracks are not named properly or don't have id3 tags yet."
[*]Ability to run scripts within the player (note it's different from point 2)
[/list]And as others have pointed out, it's now cross platform; you can contribute to the project etc etc.

I did try jriver. But as I have mentioned earlier, it does not support multiple track artists, multiple composers etc.
I must have missed this, not a problem at all.

Create your own list type field called Composers, the std one with mp3 (assuming you use it) won't work unless u enter it as "composer a & composer B". With a list ype field you would say composer A;Composer B; Composer n..etc when you create a viewscheme you will see the same track listed under any of the 3.

Do the same with Artist as well since its the same prob again the std Artist field is not a list type.

Anyways, if tagging really means rating ( as in rating an album or a track) then yes Amarok has it and you can sort/view by rating.

Umm, i mean a heck of a lot more than the std. rating field :), see above for just "a" example.

While we are at it, you can now tell if if these things are possible in "J River Media Center"

Storing playing history information in a database backend and using it hueristically.

Its got a database that can handle upwards of a quarter of million files, and its much faster than anything "free" out there. No external database required, they have their own integrated and fine tuned for the job.

Lets see things like last played, import date , number of plays, skip counts are all stored in the database. If i want to query or display these in any way then its trivial. Replay gain info, BPMs etc all there.

Heuristically, what's that ? an auto DJ..otherwise i can say play me an hr's worth of something of genre(x,y,z), not heard for x days/months etc of which i rated at so much. Again more complex variations are possible here.

TOTAL remote control using command-line/scripts (so you can fetch the lyrics of the song you're currently listening to and put in on say, active desktop)
Possible via plugins to do lyrics. Displayed in any way you like, not on the active desktop but in the player.

Fetching information about the band/track/album from wikipedia
Mass id3 tag editing, features like "set id3 tag from filename pattern" where filename pattern could be permutations of Artist/track number/album name etc. These patterns can also be user defined
Global hotkey support (and going by how complicated X's architecture is - is not an easy task)
They have their own user database to "fetch" info off the net. No wiki or cddb(gracenote) integration but that isn't much of an issue if you use other tools for this.

Bear in mind tho that all of these solutions depend on the info being correct in the first place so often they are either inaccurate or incomplete or non-existant so in the end the only way to do it properly is manually.

The other things you mention are child's play renaming tags from filenames as well as vice-versa etc. Tagging is one thing thats very quick & intuitive. I don't save tags back to files at all but only in the library. Since i use checksum files to check media for integrity.

Can your player do that ?...save only in the library.:)

search keywords in search bars, so you can say "directory:bela fleck" if your tracks are not named properly or don't have id3 tags yet."
Ability to run scripts within the player (note it's different from point 2)
The searching is far more advanced than what you asked for there. You can use expressions to get even more fancy things.

Running scripts you cannot do since its not there but for the other 99% ...hehe

And yes...looking at the topic i don't see any restriciton on mentioning commercial apps, if its best of breed you want then it comes at a price. I only use 20% of what Jriver's MC can really do, mostly for media database organisation.

I would drop it within a heartbeat if i could get just those basics done properly & quickly in a free player but for several years now not a single one is even past half way there in terms of flexbility & speed.

Back