Blackberry or Android?

• Thread starter Thread starter probuddha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 6,206
Thanks everyone for your replies.I don't mind, if it comes a little later. I just checked gmail's native app on my Nokia phone. I'm happy with the speed at which the emails are fetched. However, I'm planning to go for an advanced mobile where I can take advantage of push email with other goodies such as touch screen.

touchscreen is not really a feature if you are a heavy user of email. trust me, i hate to tweet from my phone. though you can always go for an android phone with a hardware keyboard. i really think you should go for a blackberry. bold is expensive but you can get a curve in your budget.

Hi operamaniac,True, touch screen was the one that came at the top of my head during my previous reply. I'm actually a heavy email user, never worry about other goodies. My only issue with my current mobile is the inability to notify me when a new email arrives and the annoying service reply from my mobile operator after checking email (or after browsing the web). (off-topic question: does this service reply thing also come and annoy in android/blackberry devices?)My only issue with blackberry is the cost of their service that is currently at Rs.299, plus additional Rs.100 for browsing the internet that comes to around Rs.400 per month.@Raditz: That sums up well. Thanks.

well... on airtel 2g i get alerts about data consumed after every session. i guess this is applicable on all devices. blackberry services are priced a bit high. you can probably save some money on an android phone by using the 2G plans worth 100 bucks that provide 2-3GB. you have not really comment about the usage of the phone. android phones are going to die much faster compared to blackberries. if you need a phone that can survive a day of heavy usage before a recharge, android is probably not going to work for you.

Thanks for the update on the alerts.My heavy usage is only to do with email. I don't usually browse the web unless it is really needed. I just need a way to notify me when there is a new email. But I get almost 2 emails per hour (sometimes, only 2 per day). Last month, I spent only less than 200MB data out of 2GB quota.BTW, I'm on airtel 2g too (actually currently on 3g, but will be switching to 2g due to change in my workplace).

well email notification is just fine on both blackberry and android. so that is not going to be a problem. locate friends who might have blackberries and android. checking them out yourself would probably give you a better idea.considering you are using a Nokia, 200MB is not surprising. nokia phones were not really designed for heavy internet consumption. crappy browser, lack of third party apps... i mean what else can you do. things have changed considerably with iPhones, Androids, and even Blackberry... even the new symbian devices N8/E7 would consume more data coz of the new features nokia has added and the third party app support. i have seen my wife's blackberry. i have installed opera on it and it works well for browsing. of course, it does not really work well on HTML5 based services. but otherwise, it works fine. from what i read blackberry os 6 comes loaded with a webkit based browser but when i tested the native browser on wife's blackberry i really did not see much of a difference. i mean google apps have a special version that is optimized for iPhone and android devices (both webkit) but i saw the crappier interface on the blackberry native browser.

@soodgautam so true. :)operamaniac: Yep. Will do as you suggested. Great advice on the entire topic. Thank you.

Thanks for all your inputs so far - the thing is besides using Gmail, I also need to access a couple of my company email accounts [POP3]Precisely, the following are my requirements (in order of priority):-1. Email access - Gmail and other company emails.2. IM service - Gtalk, Yahoo & Skype3. Access the web and be able to login to websites.4. Option to view and edit Office documents (Word & Excel specifically)5. Decent music player, speaker phone, dual cameras.How is android in regards to accessing company email accounts? How does their email client fares in comparison to a BB?EDIT - I had called up my cousin who has been using a BB since the last year or so and he's quite pissed off with the device. He says that his BB freezes very frequently and he's also thinking of switching over to android. Is this a common issue with blackberries?Thanks again!

Back