Broadband rates going up, while GPRS and voice rates going down -- any explaination?

mehrotra.akash

Regular
ISP
I-ON(Dvois)/Airtel+IPTV/Photon+
In 2006-2007, You could get an Airtel Night Unlimited connection for approx Rs 450 PM(256kbps) , with frequent speed boosts to 1Mbps or more. by 2008, it became 799 for Full day Unlimited, 256 with speed boosts again, no FUP.Now, come to 2011, 899 - 512 kbps till 8GB, then 256 kbps , no random speed boosts either.Earlier you could connect to the Technical customer care directly, now the CC wants you to format your computer if the Link light is not working on the modem.Earlier you got D-Link routers, now you get cheaper Beetel onesIn comparison, earlier data services used to be unaffordable on cell phones, now you get 2GB for just Rs 49 on DOCOMO, or Rs 98 on AirtelBlackberry subscription used to cost ~ Rs 900-1000 , now its around 200-300Voice rates have gone from Rs 2-3/min to Rs 0.1-0.3/minAre the TELCO's using the broadband business to subsidise their mobile business?

In 2006-2007, You could get an Airtel Night Unlimited connection for approx Rs 450 PM(256kbps) , with frequent speed boosts to 1Mbps or more. by 2008, it became 799 for Full day Unlimited, 256 with speed boosts again, no FUP.
Now, come to 2011, 899 - 512 kbps till 8GB, then 256 kbps , no random speed boosts either.
Earlier you could connect to the Technical customer care directly, now the CC wants you to format your computer if the Link light is not working on the modem.
Earlier you got D-Link routers, now you get cheaper Beetel ones

In comparison, earlier data services used to be unaffordable on cell phones, now you get 2GB for just Rs 49 on DOCOMO, or Rs 98 on Airtel
Blackberry subscription used to cost ~ Rs 900-1000 , now its around 200-300
Voice rates have gone from Rs 2-3/min to Rs 0.1-0.3/min

Are the TELCO's using the broadband business to subsidise their mobile business?

In Airtel's case, I would agree that they're getting a bit stingy on their allowances - they could easily provide 100-150GB at higher speeds for these prices but for reasons unknown, they're not.

As for the CC (Airtel's in particular) - I think this has been a representation of the way their service has been going - I suspect some bean counter has got in there and is throwing around a bunch of bad advice, leading to bad business decisions.

As for the routers, Beetel is a Bharti brand - it makes sense for Airtel to supply them. In addition to that, there is a requirement from the DoT that something like 30% of equipment is produced domestically.

But subsidizing their broadband businesses? Hmm. Unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past them. Cumulatively there's a broadband audience of 11 or so million, but a mobile audience of 700 or so million... so that would mean some pretty serious subsidizing.

I guess maybe companies who concentrate more on Broadband are hopefully going to win out in this arena in the long run.

i today struck a deal with Tata Comm for 20 Mbps ILL Circuit for 7Lacs. Just wanted to know from mgcarley Is this deal ok

i today struck a deal with Tata Comm for 20 Mbps ILL Circuit for 7Lacs. Just wanted to know from mgcarley Is this deal ok

I hope that price is per year.

I hope that price is per year.

Yes it is for one year. They were asking for 10Lacs

So, will something like this be totally Unlimited, can you max it out 24x7, and noone would care?

It is unlimited no FUP, Pure 1:1, tru Optical. Last year we had 4 Mbps for 2 Lacs. For me Prices had fallen down

Yes it is for one year. They were asking for 10Lacs

It works out to just short of 3000/mbit/month, so overall, it's quite bad - they could do better... BUT, I expect, you're paying more for the SLA (99.95% or better), and considering MTNL's price for a residential 2mbit/s line, it's actually quite good.

So, will something like this be totally Unlimited, can you max it out 24x7, and noone would care?

If it's leased line, it's "do what you want", yes.

Assuming you max it out 24x7x365, it works out to about Rs 8.5 per GB(@20mbps), so I guess mgcarley is getting better rates @Rs 10/GB(@100mbps)(after taking his costs into account as well)

Assuming you max it out 24x7x365, it works out to about Rs 8.5 per GB(@20mbps), so I guess mgcarley is getting better rates @Rs 10/GB(@100mbps)(after taking his costs into account as well)

Perhaps, but as the entity purchasing this line is probably a business, they will be using the network in a responsible way, not saturating the line with filesharing apps.

Back