Broadband rates going up, while GPRS and voice rates going down -- any explaination?

If you consider proper SI prefixes, it should be Mbit. :-)

Technically, since we are dealing with powers of 2 here, it should be KiB and Kibit

And that's how you end up with users complaining about their 500 GB disk missing 30 GB of space.

If you consider proper SI prefixes, it should be Mbit. :-)

Probably, however to assume we'd offer a transfer speed in millibits is ludicrous.

Technically, since we are dealing with powers of 2 here, it should be KiB and Kibit

No, I mean mbit/s. Mibit/s would be different again, although referring to the "download speed" as it's wrongly referred to it would be right for me to use MiByte/s and KiByte/s - but even my anal-retentiveness has a limit for the sake of being more widely understood.

If you go for 256 kbps unlimited, and use it to the max... you can download maximum of 2.2 Gb per day which turns out to be 66 Gb per month... Now if you go for 1 Mbps connection unlimited, it will go to 264 Gb... which is too much for an ISP.. So they are restricting it.But 15 and 20 Gb is too less.. They should increase it to at least 75 - 100 Gb

^That person has a life or not?

If you go for 256 kbps unlimited, and use it to the max... you can download maximum of 2.2 Gb per day which turns out to be 66 Gb per month...

Now if you go for 1 Mbps connection unlimited, it will go to 264 Gb... which is too much for an ISP.. So they are restricting it.

But 15 and 20 Gb is too less.. They should increase it to at least 75 - 100 Gb

FTFY ;)

450 megabytes an hour * 720 hours (30 days) = 316GB give or take (1 megabit)

I guess you saw the article in the Business Standard (and my subsequent correction on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HayaiBroadband)

I think my position in the article needs some clarification - by 2 or 3 times, I don't necesarily mean from 8 to ~25GB per month. I mean more like from 3 times the current 25 and 50GB caps.

Previously providers such as Airtel were offering plans with Fair Usage Policies of 100 and 150GB per month, but this is no longer the case, and in my view, providers are getting generally quite stingy.

I personally think that all providers should do away with speed based plans and head more towards what is available in Australia and my native country of New Zealand - full line-speed until a certain cap is reached and then reduce the speed to 512k when the new TRAI definition of Broadband is fully implemented.

My company doesn'thave Fair Usage Policies in the traditional sense - our fair usage policy is more-or-less "don't abuse the network by downloading 24/7", but because many people need solid numbers so that we can more easily define what "abuse" is, we have published what we think are suitable usage levels for each plan. Using this as a guideline, we can recommend to users what speed tier they should get, based on their anticipated usage.

The alternative is that providers should have data-plans, but instead of charging between Rs200 and 500 per GB as they do now, the tariffs should not be more than Rs20 per GB - and again, this data should be provided at the maximum line-speed that the infrastructure will handle.

There have been many discussions in my threads about Fair Usage Policy in the Hayai Broadband section of India Broadband Forum.

Back