• Thread starter Thread starter onewhoknows
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 62,816

onewhoknows

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I bought the 3G BSNL USB modem (Huawei E1553) in Chennai and on activationwas amazed at the speeds I got. I checked the speed using Speedtest during different times of the day and the speedtest link is given below. The highest speed I got was 3.09 Mbps and the lowest was 2.94 Mbps. The speed test was conducted during different times in the day and the speeds are consistent.My reason to buy: I am constantly on the move - working in different citiesand my current BSNL evdo connection does not allow for roaming. I know BSNLhave started national roaming on EVDO cards but the BSNL customer service isclueless on this front. By joining the 3G bandwagon I can atleast be assured ofconnectivity almost everywhere in India (esp the big towns and cities) and in technologyit is always better to embrace a upcoming technology then go for a outdated one.Process: Simply stepped into a BSNL franchise shoppe in Chennai. You need 2 photographs, id and address proof. Get the usb modem and prepaidsim card over the counter and wait for around 15 mts to get the sim card activated. I paid Rs 4343 for the Huawei USB stick. I went for the prepaid plan and you can choose a plan based on your usage. Data plans are expensive now but will come down eventually once the private players begin to enter the fray.Come back home, insert the USB modem into the USB port of yourlaptop and follow the process. This is purely plug and play - so no CD's required fordownloading any drivers. This modem is compatible with XP/Vista and Windows 7.The shop from where I purchased the modem advised me what APN name I should use.All in all the installation process should take no longer than 5 minutes.Observations:1) As you may know at these high speeds, watching videos/online gaming is aabsolute pleasure. Absolutely no buffering and for once the connection is consistent.2) My earlier connection was also with BSNL (EVDO) but 3G speed is light years ahead of EVDO. EVDO boasts of 2.4 mbps speed but I hardly got 600Kbps.I was expecting only around 1 Mbps with 3G but iam pleasantly surprised withthe current speeds.3) It is difficult to check the prepaid 3G datacard balance since the software doesnot tell you what the current balance is. I called BSNL and they tell me theonly way to know balance is to remove the sim card from the modem, insert itinto a phone and then check balance by dialing 123 or something. This to meis too cumbersome a task to check balance. If anyone has a better idea to checkthe balance, please let us know4)I had purchased a Hame 433 Router for my EVDO connection and to my pleasantsurprise this 3G modem works with this router too. No need to buy a new router for this modem now.Cheers

Whats the prepaid tariff for Data Card users? Is it 1ps/10Kb? I

Rs 4343 is a very high price for a 3G USB modem.

Micromax 3G USB modem costs 2500/-. Any difference btn these two?

Yes, RS 4343 is on the higher side but if we consider that even EVDO modems costs around Rs 3000 (and that too with pathetic speeds for EVDO) this does not look that bad.Of course, with any technology price wil come down with time.I have read a number or posts on the internet complaining about micromax 3G usb modems. Also, I think the Huawei modem supports HSPDA (speeds upto 7 Mbps) so this will help in the long run.

Yes, RS 4343 is on the higher side but if we consider that even EVDO modems costs around Rs 3000 (and that too with pathetic speeds for EVDO) this does not look that bad.
Of course, with any technology price wil come down with time.

I have read a number or posts on the internet complaining about micromax 3G usb modems. Also, I think the Huawei modem supports HSPDA (speeds upto 7 Mbps) so this will help in the long run.

Which is one better Huawei or Micromax? To be specific Micormax MMX 330g vs Huawei 1550(Idea NetSetter 3G).

I am planning to buy one and there by requesting reviews from users. TIA

hello

I m using MMX 300G USB modem in Ranchi and the speed is very very slow with BSNL 2G sim GPRS connection.I checked in Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test getting 0.13Mbps D/L and 0.10 U/L.This is not acceptable speed I guess.I think it is becoz of 3G signal.3G signal shows only 2-3 stick...

Suggestions/opinions are welcome...

Reply...

My Teracom USB connects at 3.6Mbps. My D/L speed test results hover around 1.6 Mbps. connection is quite stable. Net test gave a category "D" meaning unsuitable for online games and programs

Hi all,I purchased MMX 30G USB modem a week ago but I m not satisfied with the speed.I m using BSNL GPRS connection and getting a speed of 132 Kbps/0.12Mbps which is too low.I saw other people using the same but they have good speed.I could not figure out what went wrong with my speed.Anyone please help...

Hi all,

...I m using BSNL GPRS connection and getting a speed of 132 Kbps/0.12Mbps which is too low..

Is it GPRS or UMTS? IMHO, the required 3g speeds will be possible only if your 3G sim connects as a UMTS device. I guess the GPRS belongs to the 2G network and will usually be a lot slower than the 3G data channel. You may want to check out your MMXdatacard GUI for more indications on the connection.

Back