BSNL 3G USB Data Modem Review

• Thread starter Thread starter onewhoknows
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 62,816
Hi, I am currently with Tata Photon Plus which uses a ZTE USB modem (AC8710 CDMA2000 1X HSIA Wireless Data Terminal). Recently after I changed the data plan, the speed is severely affected. I thus plan to move over to BSNL 3G.My question is, can I simple use the BSNL 3G SIM with the current ZTE USB modem ? If so, do I need to do any special setup configuration ?Wanted to know these details before I invest in BSNL 3G.Any pointers are appreciated.thanks.Viren

Hi I m using BSNL GPRS connection with a 2G sim in MMX 3G USB Modem and getting very very low speed...15KB/s D/L.This is really not acceptable...Has anyone having the same problem here at BBSR?Plz share your experiences...

Hi
I m using BSNL GPRS connection with a 2G sim in MMX 3G USB Modem and getting very very low speed...15KB/s D/L.This is really not acceptable...Has anyone having the same problem here at BBSR?

Plz share your experiences...

Dude, with GPRS 15kbps is max you will get out of it. You should upgrade to a 3G sim with a data plan to get more speed.

hello

I m using MMX 300G USB modem in Ranchi and the speed is very very slow with BSNL 2G sim GPRS connection.I checked in Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test getting 0.13Mbps D/L and 0.10 U/L.This is not acceptable speed I guess.I think it is becoz of 3G signal.3G signal shows only 2-3 stick...

Suggestions/opinions are welcome...

Reply...

I have a Huawei E1750 modem and a 2G sim. I get speed of about 300 Kbps with this in 3G network. https://www.speedtest.net/result/970252858.png
But get about 2.4 Mbps speed with a 3G sim. https://www.speedtest.net/result/970986347.png

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Which is one better Huawei or Micromax? To be specific Micormax MMX 330g vs Huawei 1550(Idea NetSetter 3G).

I am planning to buy one and there by requesting reviews from users. TIA
I will recommend you to buy Huawei E122 or E1750 both supports speeds upto 7.2 Mbps.
Even E1550 is a good option considering the price.
I have purchased a Huawei E1750 from eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products
Gives speed of 2.4 Mbps in my area on 3G sim and 300 Kbps in 2G sim of bsnl in 3G network.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

I think you are using a bsnl 2G sim card. You can only get a slight improvement in speed if you select your preferred network as WCDMA/HSDPA in Network setting.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Micromax 3G USB modem costs 2500/-. Any difference btn these two?

The modem with the BSNL CC are costly. You can get a unlocked Huawei E122 or E1750 3G USB Modem from eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products for Rs.2800-2900. I have purchased a Huawei E1750 from there.

@specially_foru Does Huawei E1750 support USSD to check prepaid balance?

@specially_foru
Does Huawei E1750 support USSD to check prepaid balance?
It supports voice calling. But how to check balance? I think it may but i don't know exactly the procedure. I am using a post paid connection. But will try to put a prepaid card and check. But if you know the exact procedure to check then let me know and i will try it and confirm.

Just tried MDMA - a Mobile Data Monitoring Application

It works for USSD commands. So no problems

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

btw, when I try to "safely remove hardware", it doesn't work. so forced to pull out the usb.

Are you facing this problem?

USSD works fine.I have noticed that when I provide the APN the connection fails.If I choose the dynamic option for APN, it works fine. This is with BSNL 3G SIM

Now that the prices of BSNL 3G modem has comedown to Rs.2000, any one can afford this. For those who has a business, it works very well.

Back