Need Router with 3G USB Dongle Support. Budget: Around 2K

• Thread starter Thread starter Vyom
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,031
So I finally bought TP-Link TL-MR3420. Costed me Rs 2150 from offline market.

The reason why I went with TP Link finally was that I came to know Nehru Place now have a service center. Asus's RT-N10U B was not available easily anyway. So I thought why not try the router recommended by majority. :tongue:
Now, I am waiting for the MTNL Sim to get activated. (Yea, its taking time to activate. Calling 1508 doesn't do anything. Apparently its hard to activate a SIM if you don't try calling the number 24x7). After which I will finalize whether to continue with the MTNL 3G plan of 1650.
Thanks guys for helping me out to decide a router and clearing me out of my doubts. :)
And for posterity, I am quoting the link to another thread which also helped me to decide this router:
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/183490-need-router-internet-usb-dongle-support-budget-2-2-5k.html

Congrats on buying TP-Link, I am sure it won't let you down. 3420 is good and V2 which you got is much more refined than V1 I own.
Anyway Do you have multiple monitor Setup ??
I think 2 monitors are visible in baground,
can you tell how many monitors are you running, is it extended desktop on Laptop/desktop, and how many screens you have.

ghpk said:
Congrats on buying TP-Link, I am sure it won't let you down. 3420 is good and V2 which you got is much more refined than V1 I own.
Anyway Do you have multiple monitor Setup ??
I think 2 monitors are visible in baground,
can you tell how many monitors are you running, is it extended desktop on Laptop/desktop, and how many screens you have.
Thanks. I hope this router let me browse Internet uninterrupted.
No, I don't have multi monitor setup. That is just some program running on lower left corner and on right is the wallpaper. And it's a desktop.
Although I do intend to make a dual monitor setup soon.

3420 has never let me down, so I am sure you would have 24x7 connectivity as long as your SIM has bandwidth.
Mount it on High Point near window and you would be amazed with coverage it offers.
I've now connected a WISP Access Point to my TP-Link and routing that connection thru MR-3420, although haven't configured it
properly yet, Laptop works fine, but any new devices connected asks me to login again on wisp, seems IP allocation issues, will solve this soon.

I asked for dual monitor setup cause I am already running it and want to expand it further.
Have a laptop connected with 22 inch Samsung monitor and want to have a 3rd screen too, but seems laptop would not
let me run it,

ghpk said:
I've now connected a WISP Access Point to my TP-Link and routing that connection thru MR-3420, although haven't configured it
properly yet, Laptop works fine, but any new devices connected asks me to login again on wisp, seems IP allocation issues, will solve this soon.
I don't think stock firmware on mr3420 supports AP+AP client mode (maybe it only supports wds bridging - with this each individual client is not hidden behind your router). I don't have this router presently, so can't be really sure of the stock firmware limitation but if what I suspect is true, you could install the rooter firmware (which supports this mode) from here
http://ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html
Guide here (follow routed client part)
http://ofmodemsandmen.com/wdsmode.html
Edit: Just saw on page 1 that you may be using DD-WRT, then you should have no issues getting it correctly set up as a wireless repeater (choose repeater as wireless mode, not client or repeater bridge)

Thanks, Will try that tonight.
I was under impression that I need to follow this
My Access point in something which is just getting the WISP signals and giving output on LAN Cable, its interface is not known to me
the ISP who gave me is technically handicapped and was not sure how to access its Admin Interface.

Oh, you have a separate access point other than the mr3420? Then you shouldn't follow my suggestion or your link. You should set up WAN connection as auto config DHCP, with cable from AP going into WAN port of mr3420. No need to disable DHCP on your router. Then all connections going to the WISP will seem like coming from one device, requiring only a single login.
The link you cited will set it up in way that all your devices will appear as distinct devices to the WISP requiring multiple logins, in effect you'll be setting up another AP, not a router.

Back