BSNL Broadband India: Dialler for Linux

This one is a classic from Sushubh. BSNL Broadband provides a dialler for Linux and gives it in “exe” format! Nothing could be worse than this. Unless we are talking of Home 125 Plan! Tags: BSNL, BSNL Broadband, BSNL India Related posts Airtel and Sunil Bharti Mittal - Untold Story (63) Broadband- Whither? (3) BSNL Broadband: Downtime (1) BSNL ignoring TRAI's diktat (3) Free [...]

BSNL Broadband India: Dialler for Linux

You guys are getting it wrong.Reason for giving EXE file can be that it can be unzipped using unzip command on Linux (which comes inbuilt) OR otherwise can be unzipped on windows, even if person doesnt have winzip.So idea is that one single file can be unzipped on Linux or on Windows with or without winzip.So if person who doesnt have internet on Linux (because he doesnt have dialer) can unzip it on Windows (because he may not know how to unzip on Linux) even if windows doesnt have winzip and then transfer it to Linux using floppy or CD or pendrive and then install RPM.So one file serves all scenarios.

if they were supposed to be worried about Linux users, they would have given a gzip file. or a zip file itself.exe files are supposed to run on windows platform. i am not entirely sure if unzip utilities on linux would be able to open the exe file as they would open the zip file.winzip of course is able to open the exe file which IS just a zip file with an extracter built in.anyways it is ALWAYS a bad idea to give executable files when there is no need. its not an installer. just a compressed set of files. any sane person would avoid running executable files. knowing how secure the servers on bsnl sites are going to be.

why there is no need? they have done smart thing. single link for all scenarios.yes unzip on linux can unzip EXE files.

are these files recognised as compressed files?i mean what happens when you double click on the exe file which actually is a zip file with an unzipper...are they treated as zip files :Dor you have to manually open them?

unzip filename.EXEand that wud unzip contents in current directory.

duh. thats not what a newbie linux user would do. he would double click on the file and someone has to tell me if linux recognizes the zipexe files as regular compressed files or not.

give me some time, let me reboot into ubuntu and try it :)nope, double-clicking the file in ubuntu gutsy does not work. but if i right-click it does show an "extract here" option (which worked) which leads me to believe it did detect it as a zip/exe archive and they (ubuntu) should have enabled it as the default double-click action...

yes so it does detect as zip file. so shudnt be a problem for even newbie. i generally dont use konqueror or nautilus. i am a command line guy.OT to Sushubhsushubh.net is giving this:This website has been suspended for non payment of dues.

Back