BSNL Dataone
I am using debian etch, and my kernel is 2.6.18

B

bsnluser

Regular
ISP
UL900
I am using debian etch, and my kernel is 2.6.18

From your ifconfig command, it appears you are getting connected and are also getting an IP address.

When you are trying to establish the connection using the 'pon dsl-provide' command (first do 'poff -a' to terminate any open connections and power cycle the modem and wait for modem lights to stablize), what do you get in /var/log/syslog file? Please copy and paste the relevant lines here.

Also, post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces file here.

T

Trojan

ISP
Alliance Broadband
Can anyone please provide the sonfiguration in WIndows , I cant seem to configure the modem . The LAN stays connected but when I try to login , it says : "Error 687 : Remote computer didnot respond" . Please someone help !!!!!! :frown:I am suing modem C2110 , black , Nokia-Seimens !!!!

prakash_mvpa

prakash_mvpa

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
to all who are on Ubuntu or any Debian based distros :first make sure your broadband connection is reaching to you:
try "pppoe-discovery".if it says "timeout waiting for PAD0 packets etc" ,then problem is with exchange.
@sdzahed :man ,remove that rp-pppoe package first."pppoeconf" is rp-pppoe only.

in bridge mode ,run pppoeconf and configure. then "pon dsl-provider" to connect and "poff" to disconnect.
if after connecting also(ppp0 shown in ifconfig output) you cannot ping any sites ,do this:
Code:
route add default ppp0
^open a terminal and as root(su) or as "sudo" in ubuntu.

good luck :):cool2:

V

varkeyeldo

ISP
Bsnl
hello, im a windows user. now im swithcing to linux, fedora 9. my connection mode is Bridge mode with D-Ling GLB-802c modem. can anybody please help me in configuring connection with bsnl from fedora.

G

greenstar4

ISP
BSNL dataone 750 UL
i think most of the people here r using ubuntu for ubuntu / kubuntu linux (or their live cd)on the desktop got to terminaltype pppoeconf and u r done it will ask for ur username and password and u r connectedbut remember this work only for ethernet

T

tinoymalayil

ISP
BSNL
Could anybody please help me to configure internet connection in opensuse 11.0 .I have a bsnl broadband home plan.please help me.....

prakash_mvpa

prakash_mvpa

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
^use yast to configure connection in bridge mode(where you dial from linux or windows to connect) and use "kinternet" tool to dial and connect.if you are using pppoe dialer(that is configured everything in router) ,enable dhcp in your distro and restart network.and BTW ,usb modem connection for router in linux is almost 99% impossible.if at all possible is ,unstable.:D

M

mspraveen

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hello everyone,Though I've been exposed to Linux previously, yesterday was the first time I've installed it on my laptop. And, I don't repent it! :) However, no matter how many posts I browsed through this forum, I was unable to find an answer to my question.Here are some details about my distro: Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake with 2.6.15-26-386 kernel.On Windows XP, my wireless connection used to be unsecured and hence I was able to connect automatically. However, I needed to login using my BSNL username and password. This is how I used to access internet on Windows OS.On Ubuntu, I try connecting to my (unsecured) wireless connection using Automatic (DHCP) option. Thereafter, I don't know how to login with my BSNL details to access the internet. Can somebody help suggest me something here? Thanks!

vishalrao

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
First of all you need to get the latest Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... Dapper Drake is way to old :DThen I believe you run "sudo pppoeconf" in the terminal, or I belive the new NetworkManager (LAN icon) has an "Add DSL" option...

M

mspraveen

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hi Vishal,

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean! :) I received the free CDs of Ubuntu way back in 2006. I found them and finally muttered courage to have it installed. Now I feel that it is time for me to move on.

I tried sudo pppoeconf, but I'll try downloading it from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/files/download/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz and try this.

What are the steps using sudo pppoeconf, if not self-explanatory?

Cheers!

First of all you need to get the latest Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex... Dapper Drake is way to old :D

Then I believe you run \"sudo pppoeconf\" in the terminal, or I belive the new NetworkManager (LAN icon) has an \"Add DSL\" option...

vishalrao

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
I don't know coz I don't use either (pppoeconf or NetworkManager) :D Hopefully the steps should be self-ex

B

bsnluser

Regular
ISP
UL900
Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean! :) I received the free CDs of Ubuntu way back in 2006. I found them and finally muttered courage to have it installed. Now I feel that it is time for me to move on.

I tried sudo pppoeconf, but I'll try downloading it from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/files/download/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz and try this.

pppoeconf should already be installed when you first installed Ubuntu. What exactly happens when you do 'sudo pppoeconf' in a terminal? Is the command not found? If that is so, then insert the Ubuntu CD again (while logged in) and from Add/Remove programs (or from Synaptic Package Manager), install pppoeconf package and try again.

Once you give 'sudo pppoeconf' command, it will ask you a few questions. They are self explanatory. Just answer them and you should be good to go. If not, just ask here again.

Having said that, I would strongly recommand that you installed Hardy Heron (8.04 version) which is an LTS release (Long Term Support) or Intrepid Ibex (8.10) which is the most recent release. There releases have a Network Manager which makes life much easier. Plus, they are newer kernels which also help a lot.

Finally, whichever version you use, I would advise you to join Ubuntu Users' mailing list (look for it on Ubuntu's website). It is *very* helpful in all problems related to Ubuntu. You will be surprised how fast you can find answers to your queries there.

Good luck.

S

sandeep_m

ISP
BSNL
Hello,

In the steps, note that for your Dataone connection, you must use "username@dataone" as the username and your password.

Is this still the case today?