BSNL Broadband routing problem seems to have been resolved

Congestion in TATA? Run a trace through their looking glass. If that's fine, you know whom to blame :D

Issues as soon as you hit Singapore PoP of AS6453

Please share your IP or alternatively try doing a trace from Singapore PoP of Tata AS6453 to your IP from their looking glass - LG.as6453.net/bin/lg.cgi

iChaitanya said:
Yes, it does look like the routing (to SG) has been fixed. However, can someone please explain why my latency to SG is 514 ms?!
x720 said:
Congestion in TATA? Run a trace through their looking glass. If that's fine, you know whom to blame :D

Dwar x720 - there can be congestion but generally you will find it very less specially in BSNL issues. For jumps from 100 to 500 it is often bad routing. I will look forward for trace.

In general India - US latency is 300ms and so 500ms is somewhat close to double and my guess is that packets are taking worst possible route like Singapore > US > India > Europe (200 addition) > India.

iChaitanya said:
You're damn right. While going it's taking direct India > SG route, but while returning it's going for a world tour:

WTF? :|

Come on, even routes need vacations once in a while.

I think something strange is happening in Chennai at the moment. Anyone got any idea?

iChaitanya said:
You're damn right. While going it's taking direct India > SG route, but while returning it's going for a world tour:

WTF? :|

Yeah so this is because of IPLC mess they have. They are announcing prefix only to Tata AS6453 PoPs outside (along with NIXI). NIXI is just for local traffic and hence for anyone to enter BSNL's network for this route from outside India, the only way is via New York.

Just utter mismanagement IP Vs IPLC capacity by BSNL and by the outsourced company which handles their routing. There's not much you can do besides sending them emails and hoping for reply someday!

Jignesh said:
And this is the download speed on 2mbps plan
:offended:

Hi Jignesh

This is more of an expected effect. There are two reasons which are slowing things down for you:

[*]Since due to bad routing you are now crossing long distance which has more networks with more routers - there are more middle bottlenecks and they can impact speed.

[*]Due to high latency bandwidth decreases due to TCP window size factor - (wikipedia entry here)
[/list]You can try playing around with some bandwidth levels, latency and numbers using this tool - http://www.switch.ch/network/tools/tcp_throughput/index.html?do+new+calculation=do+new+calculation

I hope this will help. Let's hope BSNL will fix this someday!

Routing has gone bad again. Internet connectivity to BSNL is rather slow today.

However, this seems to affect a few particular servers only. I'm guessing this is temporary.

Back