BSNL Broadband seems to have blocked SSH Port 22 on their network

I am facing same issue on bsnl . visited bsnl exchange today . J.E / J.T.O replied that yes they read ssh/sftp in books but they don't know how to block unblock these ports . what the hell is going with digital India. what the bloody f**k

they are not going to fix it , and JTO will not do this job it , has to be done by something called NOC , BSNL Has no interest in fixing this , and we developer dont intend to make bsnl fix it , so i guess do what i did , i routed the port to 8022 and started using it

Finally, reply received from BSNL

Dear Customer,
Port no 22 is blocked in BSNL due to security reasons.
PORT 22 will be open only for those BSNL customer having STATIC IP.
As per your BB plan (BBG Combo ULD 845) you don`t have STATIC IP.

With Warm Regards,

JTO (NIBHELPDESK)
MHS BHAVAN,PUNE
020-26357152/53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From mail sent by me to BSNL

Steps I have taken to verify that port 22 is not being blocked by OS/Firewall/Router:
  • Reset ADSL modem/firmware settings to factory default and re-configuring.
  • Changed the firmware of my adsl modem/router by flashing clean image to ensure that the port access problem is not due to malware on the router/modem.
  • Tried multiple clients to ensure that the problem is not due to firewall/access settings or problem on one specific device - tried different machines with Linux, Windows 10 . even from an Android device.
  • Tried accessing ssh port 22 using the same machines but different provider network (Vodafone) - and on the different provider network it works all right.

This is Rajakumar from Karnataka, 6 years user of BSNL.
All of sudden i got this issue and surprised to see the same working in other connections.

Wasted lot of time to check all the VPS.

No idea about the Geevi who taken the decision.
But definitely they need to reconsider.

This could be against net freedom to block a commonly used port.
They may have the rights to control the inbound,
but for sure they are not in the position to decide which port i am connecting outbound.

Hope it started working.
I tested today port 22 connections are establishing.
I have made complaints on Customercare, Appellate with no response.

But this one got update: :: Grievance Status ::

Sadly today Facebook even isn't working!
Note- I guess it was a temporary glitch it's working now. The port is still blocked though.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I was also facing the same issue since from (August 1, 2017), I could not connect to any of my servers (AWS) using port 22 from BSNL broadband. Everything was working fine till last night (July 31, 2017).

Even BSNL mobile (GSM) allows port 22. Just the BSNL Broadband declines port 22.

Are they really aware (or) working about the issues to resolve ?

Back