BSNL EVDO Broadband: How come evdo cheaper then wired broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, competition should be maintained and nobody should have monopoly neither govt nor pvt corporations.

In the end, I only want consumers to be winners in terms of prices and claimed ability of services, which should be monitored through proper mechanism and equitable grievance redressal system. :)

TATA was great earlier.but to make WIMAX a success..bt all know how pathetic WIMAX is..and nw they have stopped giving wired connection,people are taking EVDO mainly bcz DATAONE takes months or even years to come except small towns,sify installation is 3500!!!airtel not available everywhere,hathway are frauds..reliance are worse than tata,that's why many ll still keep EVDO..that's a sad truth:mad:

TATA was great earlier.but to make WIMAX a success..bt all know how pathetic WIMAX is..and nw they have stopped giving wired connection,people are taking EVDO mainly bcz DATAONE takes months or even years to come except small towns,sify installation is 3500!!!airtel not available everywhere,hathway are frauds..reliance are worse than tata,that's why many ll still keep EVDO..that's a sad truth:mad:

Indeed absn. At least I have faith in BSNL that they will not charge extra money by giving incorrect bill which is a normal occurrence with other players if you aren't on unlimited plan. Best part is that with BSNL you can rectify the wrongly calculated bill.

agree with u pal,
so again one more time - does anyone in Bangalore near Vijaynagar/Mudalapalya area get good speed on EVDO ?

I have posted this several times & no reply; so i am taking it as no one around Vijaynagar in Bangalore is using EVDO :(

Now the next question, are every bsnl tower in Bangalore equipped with EVDO capability because the closest tower from my house is just 2 roads away, i can see it clearly & no obstructions is between. does that mean i would 'PROBABLY' get very good speeds. :O

p.s: i'll would start another thread maybe if no one answers this

BSNL EVDO was excellent in my area.I'm using this service from the launch of the service in my area SALEM, tamil nadu on feb'08. for my desktop. and my house from the tower is around 2-3 kms.I GET CONSTANT SPEED OF 1.8 MBPS TO 2MBPS (170 kBps - 210 kBps). till date i don't face any problem.Compared to BSNL other operators are cheat us for providing just 144 kbps in advertisement but they give just 100-110 kbps. only. but in tv's they advertise with cinestars as high speed internet.Also even i move to 1x area i get the download speed of 12-15 kBs in this BSNL-EVDO. it's bit high compared to PRIVATE OPERATORS. and the connection cost was 550/- and other's are 1500/- what a cheat.In my experience when i use DATAONE 256 kbps unlimited and then HOME 500C plan, BSNL ROCKS i get around 30-35 kBps in 256 Kbps unlimited and 250 kBps in HOME 500C plan. its excellent speed. but private operators doesn't give the said speed.After using this EVDO connection on FEB'08, i disconnected DATAONE.

BSNL EVDO was excellent in my area.
I'm using this service from the launch of the service in my area SALEM, tamil nadu on feb'08. for my desktop. and my house from the tower is around 2-3 kms.

I GET CONSTANT SPEED OF 1.8 MBPS TO 2MBPS (170 kBps - 210 kBps). till date i don't face any problem.

Compared to BSNL other operators are cheat us for providing just 144 kbps in advertisement but they give just 100-110 kbps. only. but in tv's they advertise with cinestars as high speed internet.

Also even i move to 1x area i get the download speed of 12-15 kBs in this BSNL-EVDO. it's bit high compared to PRIVATE OPERATORS. and the connection cost was 550/- and other's are 1500/- what a cheat.

In my experience when i use DATAONE 256 kbps unlimited and then HOME 500C plan, BSNL ROCKS i get around 30-35 kBps in 256 Kbps unlimited and 250 kBps in HOME 500C plan. its excellent speed. but private operators doesn't give the said speed.

After using this EVDO connection on FEB'08, i disconnected DATAONE.

Now that was a good review, gives me some courage to go for EVDO. but then my question again:

I have posted this several times & no reply; so i am taking it as no one around Vijaynagar in Bangalore is using EVDO :(

Now the next question, are every bsnl tower in Bangalore equipped with EVDO capability because the closest tower from my house is just 2 roads away, i can see it clearly & no obstructions is between. does that mean i would 'PROBABLY' get very good speeds. :O

madhusudhan7 said:

p.s: i'll would start another thread maybe if no one answers this

NO!I am in kumarswami layout area where the latest of the 2 EVDO towers are established..and I get average speed of 12kBps on download from direct servers and on torrents speed is about 2kBps..means it is less than a 256kbps..and I don't know why some newbies come here and comment that we THINK we r having EVDO and not CDMA...We do get evdo signal..but it's not our fault that we get 1X speed:mad:

:rofl:
its seems to me some people mixing evdo550 to cdma nic250

both r different but device is nearly same

ya speed falles but for me it never get below 256 kbs (i.e. 34 kbs download)

i usually get 1mbps(ya i.e 120 kbps download)
i rocks

sometime as i get 256kbps i also got 2mbps

but remeber the tower of bsnl is just 250 meters away

I am an extc engineer myself and we are not fools out here that we think we are having NIC cards,it must be that u r in a non-buzzing countryside or in an area where no1 knows abt EVDO,do u think all the thousands of complains all ova the net are all fools taking NIC and demanding EVDO?:hysterical:

evdo is cheap bcz of this

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grrqd7.jpghttp://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Of all the discussion boards that discussing the EVDO related problems this is a best thread that I have ever seen...First of all I want to clarify the title thread.. Why EVDO (BSNL) is cheaper than the wireline and other CDMA players ?first reason is in the case of EVDO there is no massive investment infrastructure, staff, even necessary license was obtained by BSNL.. actually this is a technological testing trial by using exiting CDMA network by using Evolution-Data Optimized Rev-0 version..to give high speed internet in rural areas..BSNL need massive investment for its existing DATAone services to rural areas, which is impossible for its financial position...So the idea of EVDO born with shared ip addresses..but when some higher officials find that its DATA cards are more effective than the existing players in urban areas, they immediately sought to introduced as l basis...immediately threatened by the presence of EVDO the private players complained to TRAI and even to the presence Minister (who is blocking new schemes in BSNL)..even one communist MP was hooked and he openly criticized BSNL starting EVDO without licenseTrai has ruled also ruled that BSNL evdo is 3 G hence it need spectrum allocation and license..BSNL has contented that it using existing bandwidth for the CDMA and EVDO is 2.5 G (meaning it is between 2G and 3G) so no license needed..So with hostile Minister, and unsympathetic TRAI, BSNL forced to stop further advertisement, and staff posting staff for maintaining the EVDO, transferring the Officers who are effectively marketing implementing the EVDO in Some areas to other non related works,.. this is the reason for bad performance at present.. So I want to caution to other wait for January 2009 for further news (BsNL now has 3 G license assurance in it pocket but had to wait for spectrum allocation to other players, also some political storm may give some happy relief)Vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back