bsnl provides Siemens SL2_141 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter gmg9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 30,419
hi essbebe thanks i saw the link for siemens sl2 modem in yahoo and downloaded it also. i asked the bsnl chaps to why they havent supplied me with a CD ROM and a USB cable as per the diagram of the downloaded info. these chaps tell me that in this TYPE II modem ( as they call it) there is no requirement of a cd rom or a USB cable as the other cable provided( ethernet cable? which fits in the RJ 45 side of my laptop ) will be used only once to configure my laptop with the bsnl conectivity whereafter it will on WI FI mode. is this correct or should i ask these jokers to provide with the CD ROM and USB cable with they say they can if required. they are yet to send a so called engneer who will supply me with a IP add and PW to finally activate this connection for which that chap will come to my home i a day or so. may i threfore request you to please clarify my doubts as the engr is likey to visit within the next 1/2 days. thanks.andyHi ess bebe does any problem arise in such a configuration with window vista OEM which i have in my laptop, specially the wifi. i am new to computers and the vista has really been a pain in certain areas including compatabilty .andy

@andy_65_inConnect the modem, and go on line. and see what happens! Probably they have already inserted your ID/Password in the modem..Or ask them on phone 1800 424 1600.Act dumb, when the engineer comes. Let him set up the connection, and get connected to Internet. but get briefing how to access the modem ID and Password.About installation CD and USB connector , they may supply both. Not sure. TF jack===>>Rj11 telephone cable====>> splitter====>ADSL Port====Rj11===>>>modem=====>>>Rj45 =====>>> computer ethernet port.Or if the modem is Wireless, your laptop has a Wireless Lan adapter, it should pick up the signals without any connection to the modem. ( See the Internet Wireless connection Wizard in OS)Check status in Start Network/LAN properties also wireless network.I am not familiar with Vista. Let us try one by one. First get connected. I am also. posting about Vista WiFI in another thread. Result awaited.

thanks for the advice essbebe.eagerly awaiting the engr. yes i have a wi fi enabled compaq laptop so have high hopes that the wifi will work.thanks. will bother you again if required.andy

Hi still awaiting my modem hookup by bsnl guys. am mighty worried considering my old experience of window vista as to whether i will be able to go wi fi with my vista and bsnl type II Siemens SL2_141 modem.just for my curiosity anyon who has been succesful with VISTA and bsnl broadband with wi fi .do you have to take the installation cd rom and install it( which these bsnl guys tell me is NOT required)or should the system work as normal.otherwise i may have to change to a normal non wi fi modem type I from bsnl if both these vista and siemens are not compatible. friends please comment will be greatful.thanks andy

@andy_65_in If the Bsnl staff( engineer) bring their own laptop loaded with VISTAno problem. They will show that Internet works ,and ask you to check your computer/OSetc.I think you will be charged Rs 250/= extra for installation visit. ( check it up).Did you get your ID and Password ? to program your modem ?

no didnt get any ID/PW as yet. will go to these bsnl guys tomorrow to speed up things.the configuration settings as mentioned in the matter downloaded for my siemens modem is quite different from what i have in my orignal vista home basic version network centre. hope things turn up well . any other suggestions essbeemoreover the bsnl modem though a siemens loks like a chinese copy bcause its power source is a chinese make so addtitonal doubts on the connectivity.

@andy_65_in Till you connect to Internet with any modem via ethernet, with any OS no progress can be made.I search in Google/Yahoo/Answers for details of the different modems.routers etc, and try to help. and I am not a software/hardware professional. Basically all are same and once BSNL sets it up and connects to Internet, further refinements can be attempted. Next problem is Usage check , which has nothing to do with the Internet connection/modem. . Next will be your torrents download.Next will be complaint about speeds.So if you click the tags and go through connected threads, the problem will not appear difficult, and you will find a solution mostly.So let us wait.

hi essbebe the so caled bsnl engr tried his full luck but the modem didnt configure at all. i didnt sign on the acceptance documents so he will come again tomorrow with someone who knows this pain in theA... vista better. spoke 2 a few computer delaers who suggested change my modem for the simple non wi fi type I modem since as per them a number of chaps have faced similar problem of wi fi even in win 2000./xp with bsnl broadband .my vista showed error of no response on the pinging or server non connenctivity spoke to the bsnl server chap who told me sub theek hai.comments.

@andy_65_in
Ask BSNL to come with a different modem also.

See this thread. He is successful for WI-FI also. Only problem he says he has to dial.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/19698-how-configure-siemens-sl2_141-routermodem-duo/

Did you get ID and password ?

As I told you, it is their duty to use any modem, to their own computer/laptop and show connection to Internet. with your User ID and Password.
Then it is our problem. Is there an ethernetPort in your laptop,where an RJ45 cable can be connected ? If you get connected we can solve the wireless part later.
TFline ==>>rj11 to splitter ====>>adsl port===Rj11===.>> any modem====>>Rj45 to computer ethernet port.

Hi essbebe what i gather is that this is bsnl ka headache from you .they tried the r45 jack -ethernrt approach also but the dam thing didnt configure. can i request for a non wifi modem configutaion and then later go for some commercial wi fi router attched to this non wi fi modem to achieve wi fi interface. is this possible. but will the wi fi router cost a mere Rs 600 which is the cost difference.or should i insist on their configuring the wi fi modem for which they can get another modem .does vista make any difference- is it the cause of this non configuration.andy

Back