Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,687
@Strykar First VLAN needs to be created under SFP interface. Then in IP/Addresses window, configure the static ip for the VLAN interface. Also create a route for the static IP gateway. Then NAT firewall for masquerade action/srcnat chain.

@hariselio Would you please share your Static IP (route / srcnat / masquerade) rules, I cannot get it to work with static IP.
Setting up PPPoE works, but I need to get only IPv6 via PPPoE and static IPv4.
hpRDQp2.png

@Strykar First i suggest you to disable pppoe and setup only static.. once you make it work, then enable pppoe for ipv6 and configure bit higher route distance. I guess you cannot have two routes with same distance, from your screenshot i see you have static and pppoe routes have same distance as 1. I usually had distance as 10 for pppoe when using static ip.

Also first make sure, static ip configuration is working your airtel router provided you got static ip recently. Sometimes, they give static ip, but it never works and they had to do some config in backend to make it work. Ofcourse if you are already using static ip, then this is not applicable for you.

Regarding my nat firewall, i usually create a interface list and all all the wan related interfaces in that. Then in NAT, created single masquerade rule for the interface list like below,

image.png

@Sayantan Its difficult to know what could be the problem without you sharing any config/screenshot. I suggest first check whether proper route automatically created for sfp ip range. If its there, then mostly its firewall related rule blocking. Check few posts above by @anmolbhard004 where he shared complete his working config screenshot. Hope that helps.

Static works fine with the Airtel router and I have been testing just with Static, I just wanted to show PPPoE works.
My srcnat/masq rules are working, I went with your approach and used an interface list attached to WAN.

On the RB5009, when I try to add a default route, it fails as it cannot reach the gateway 182.70.116.1
See:
jECX3Qw.png

wUvRfsu.png

I just need to see the default route settings you used for static IP on ROS.

mine is same as yours, but as i said, i no longer use static ip and disabled it. Here is the screenshot from that.

image.png

Try checking firewall rules, probably disable complete firewall for a moment and test.

@Strykar i'm not sure whether it relevant, but the static ip address config should be similar to the one you defined for SFP address.. ie, IP address is 182.70.176.x/24 and network is 182.70.116.0

Last edited:
Yea I need to see a working configuration's Status tab of the route window you posted above.
Disabling all firewall rules did not fix it.

@rajil.s Mind sharing your route settings, at this point the OS doesn't matter, I just wanna see what's working for others?

@hariselio That was it, thank you very much mate! It needs the network via CIDR so the static_IP/24 was the address required! Route works and so does srcnat and masq! Woo hoo, ISP optics replaced! Thank you all in this thread 🙏

To wrap up, is PPPoE the only way to get IPv6?
If yes, then how do I tell ROS to only get an IPv6 address via SLAAC on the PPPoE interface?
Currently I had to setup DHCPv6 on the PPPoE interface but I dont want the dynamic extra IPv4.

Last edited:
I got a call today from Airtel saying that my device is it at a higher power level. They asked me to reboot.

I looked at the power level of the ODI stick and it shows
Code:
Temperature     45.070313 C
Voltage     3.123500 V
Tx Power     2.988751 dBm
Rx Power     -22.676062 dBm
Bias Current     14.850000 mA

This looks to be in spec for the transceiver.

Back