can i share my bsnl usb evdo connection over wifi ?

• Thread starter Thread starter praz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 23,344
Status
Not open for further replies.

praz

AIR-TEl:dey tak in da air
ISP
Airtel
hey has the title says , can i do that ? i have searched google , most of the procedures available are for verizon , has anyone been successful trying on bsnl ?

bump

hey has the title says , can i do that ?

i have searched google , most of the procedures available are for verizon , has anyone been successful trying on bsnl ?

Buy a wiFi router which costs 1500 and a USB-LAN type plug which costs around Rs.150...

You can share BSNL EVDO connection from your Desktop or laptop to another system through WIFI, you don't need any router for this. I have connected my iPhone from my laptop through wifi.

yep i know you can share it over wifi , have read all the various steps on the net inorder to do that but somehow i am unsuccessful doing this .

if you have successfully shared your evdo connection over wifi to another computer or phone , then can you please give details on how you did it ? it will be very helpful for me and for other users here too i believe , thank you

Activate your wifi card in desktop / laptopConnect to internet through EVDOGo to network and sharing center > manage networksAdd a new WEP network and name it as mynetworkset a 5 char long passwordClick next and it will give you an option to share the internet conenctionActivate it and you are ready to go....

yep i know you can share it over wifi , have read all the various steps on the net inorder to do that but somehow i am unsuccessful doing this .

if you have successfully shared your evdo connection over wifi to another computer or phone , then can you please give details on how you did it ? it will be very helpful for me and for other users here too i believe , thank you

OK, let me check the site from which i got detailed instruction and post that link here or will check it in my laptop how i did and give u clear instruction later today, may be after reaching home at 11 PM IST.

OK, let me check the site from which i got detailed instruction and post that link here or will check it in my laptop how i did and give u clear instruction later today, may be after reaching home at 11 PM IST.

thanks dude any kind of information would be great

TipidPC.com | How To: Configure your WiFi adapter as a Wireless Router for Internet Sharing

Check this site, hope it would help

From this site, i followed instruction and could able to share internet connection fom laptop to iPhone.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Copy paste from above link

NOTE: Please read everything and understand the steps first before asking for any questions.

My setup involves two notebooks, mine which is directly connected to the Internet via DSL connection and my sister's notebook. Mine is connected all the time so it doesn't move unless I bring it with me, which is very unlikely to happen. I don't have a desktop computer anymore. I use my notebook like a desktop computer since it's cheaper on the electric bill to run for 24/7, space-saving and portable.

You'd probably will ask why not just buy an wireless router? Well, firstly I don't want to spend on one just to share my Internet connetion (when I can do it for free) and second is consider the added cost on the electric bill of running a wireless router 24/7.

Range is perfect since we live in a small apartment with a second floor and two bedrooms. She can connect easily anywhere in the house with 100% signal all the time. Additionally, at first I thought only one computer can connect to access my wireless connection but when my friend came for a visit and he brought his laptop with him I discovered that we can connect two notebooks to my wireless network and access at the same time. I'm not sure how many is the limit but definitely two computers can access at the same time.

This setup is perfect for those who have a desktop computer and wants to share the Internet connection with another computer or laptop. Works on Windows XP Home and Pro.

Here is a step-by-step guide in how to configure your WiFi adapter (internal or external/usb, pci, mini-pci or pcmcia) as a wireless router for Internet sharing.

Setup and installing your wireless adapter
1. Firstly, upgrade your XP to Service Pack 2.. it's for your own security.
2. Install only the drivers (do not include the utility software) of your wireless adapter if possible, we will use the built-in wireless
utility of XP. This is because to avoid conflicts between the two software. I used to experience random problems like with signal but no connection when both softwares are installed even if I use either one of them at a time.

If not possible, install the software but specify at the end of the setup of the software installation that you will use the Windows XP wireless utility instead of it.

Ad-Hoc (peer-to-peer) wireless Network Setup
The next step is to setup an Ad-Hoc (peer-to-peer) wireless network. To do this,

1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.

2. Right-click on the Wireless Network Connection icon then click properties.

3. On the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, click on the the Wireless Networks tab.

4. Make sure the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings option is checked then click Add the button at the bottom.

5. Under Network name (SSID), type any name you wish for your wireless network then put a check mark on the This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network; wireless access points are not used option. You can later add security.

6. Click OK all the way to exit.

7. Now, you can test this newly created wireless network by having another computer scan/detect and connect to it.

To check the newly created wireless network, do this:

1. On the other computer, it will automatically detect a wireless network.

2. Click on the Wireless networks detected ballon then the Wireless Connection Network window will appear. The newly created wireless network should also appear. Do not connect to it since we need to share the Internet connection first.

Sharing your Internet connection through wireless connection
Once that another computer can detect to your wireless network, it's time to share your Internet connection through this wireless connection setup via Xp's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). To do this,

1. Go to Control Panel > Network Setup Wizard then click Next on the window and then Next again, so that's 2 Next.

2. When the Wizard informs you that it found disconnected network hardware, just check on Ignore disconnected network hardware then click Next.

3. On the next window it will say Select a connection method so select This computer connects to the Internet directly... then click Next.

4. On the next window it will say Select your Internet connection from the following list so select the connection setup that you use to connect to the Internet. This may be a dial-up, DSL, or LAN connection.. in my case, it's my PLDT DSL connection then click Next.

5. On the next window it will say Select your private network, this simply means select the network that you want to share your Internet connection with so we need to select the Wireless Network Connection then click Next.

6. On the next window, type anything in the Computer description. As for the computer name, this will identify your computer in the network so make it simply. No special characters and spaces please.

7. On the next window, type the Workgroup name you wish. I think it should be the same Workgroup name of the other computers.

8. On the next window, select Turn on file and printer sharing then click Next. You can later disable this option if case you're paranoid of security risks.

9. On the next window, setup will be applying the new settings.. simply wait for it to finish.

10. On the next window, select Just finish the wizard.. then click Next and then click Finish.

That's it, everything is configured. Before your test it, better restart the computer first then connect to the Internet. Once connected, use the other computer to connect to the wireless network and test the Internet connection.

I have done this on three notebooks already and works like a charm. If you have any problems, feel free to post them and I will try to answer them. Comments and suggestions are also welcome. Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back