Charges and profit on trading

I do agree , but just saying. Thats why i am asking others , whether my profits are due to the recent Market in the upbeat ?

lol. people are still making losses in the market today. the way my dad has been reacting over the last couple of days i am pretty sure he has lost a lot of money during this period.
not everyone makes money during an upbeat. that's not how things work.

I have been trying to learn this , but many say , start somewhere , then only one can actually learn. May be i will just fiddle with this stock simulation for few more weeks and see how it works out for me.
Is ICICI Direct the lowest on brokerage fee ? or is there anyone with lowest brokerage fee ?

I doubt ICICIDirect is cheap. I only picked them because I already had an account with them so it was easy to get started.

Typical brokerage is .3% for delivery and .03% for day trading. This is added to your buy/sell rate. Transaction and turnover Taxes are calculated post this. Over and above this, you need to pay income tax quarterly and adjust losses to gains in your annual returns.
High net worth individuals get better rates. For ex Axis bank has a scheme of .15% and .015% for a prepaid scheme. For eg you can prepay brokerage of ~1.25L for a total delivery turnover of 7Crores or 70Crores in day trading. Beyond this they charge .18% and .018% for delivery/day respectively.

if you are doing this for the first time I suggest you stay away from trading and take delivery of good stocks which are at lows. you will end up burning your fingers if don't exit at the right time or if you become greedy.

rsatbf said:
Typical brokerage is .3% for delivery and .03% for day trading. This is added to your buy/sell rate. Transaction and turnover Taxes are calculated post this. Over and above this, you need to pay income tax quarterly and adjust losses to gains in your annual returns.
High net worth individuals get better rates. For ex Axis bank has a scheme of .15% and .015% for a prepaid scheme. For eg you can prepay brokerage of ~1.25L for a total delivery turnover of 7Crores or 70Crores in day trading. Beyond this they charge .18% and .018% for delivery/day respectively.

My strategy has been more towards short term trading and not much of intra-day trading. in virtual trading off course. I sell stocks when they reach >3% of what the actual price i bought , so this meager brokerage is not much to worry right ?

xerxes said:
if you are doing this for the first time I suggest you stay away from trading and take delivery of good stocks which are at lows. you will end up burning your fingers if don't exit at the right time or if you become greedy.
I am basing so much of my confidence in trading with this simulation , i may be totally wrong here though. But so far , except for one bad trade (see teh screenshot) , all others have been profitable only. Or am i missing something here. Is there any better way to check the way i trading is correct ?

I think 3% should cover your costs and give you maybe 1-1.5% in profits. If this works for you, go for it. I dont think there is any simple formula anyone can guarantee as something that works. You will learn and refine as you go along...

@ naveen
1) your strategy has to eb tried in a down trending market and a choppy environment too. the market is unidirectional for the past 1 month so any strategy that is trend following will work. try baack testting it in a falling environment and a choppy period too.
2) u mentioned abt exiting at 3%. profit is a secondary goal. the primary should be risk management. how much risk wud u take for a trade. where wud u exit for a loss. etc
only when u take these things into account will you have a consistent system. also 3% is a few hrs move in a volatile stock. do u account for volatility? coz then ur strategy shud have diff goals for volatile and non volatile stocks.
your screenshot shows 37 wins out of 89. attempt to trade only if u can get >50% wins with an average win 2x of avg loss.
also get a better broker. 0.3% is ridiculous and don't ever go to any place where u pay brokerage in advance . its a losing proposition. u r depleting your account even before u begin !

Back