Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 137,560
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do @mr_grump5, on a regular monthly plan itself!

Hathway has a 899 plan where you get the same 150 Mbps but also includes OTT subs like Netfilx basic plan for 3 Months, Sunnxt for 1 year, zee, yupp tv and an ok-ish android TV stick.

Oh great, Do their Customer reps offer different plans than those offered on website? My current plan with Cherri costs me 880/month(with GST) for 100 mbps.

Unfortunately yes. They still offer the plans from website but promo plans are only available from sales/cc reps. I am on vanilla plan without any OTT subs and it costs 940(799+gst) pm. OTT plan costs 100 rupee more so it would come down to 1060 pm.

Cherri has come out with 2 new plans to counter Hathway in Chennai

LCO Promo 799+gst 150mbps
LCO Promo 899+gst 200mbps

data remains 2TB but Post FUP speed is bumped to 10mbps.

was given this plan when I called them for disconnection.

@manojrk

Interesting but the last time I used Cherri, I got ~8 Mbps to Intl servers and pings were all over the place. I didn't expect much from Hathway but damn, I was surprised to get consistent speeds, zero latency spike and no downtime since installation.

Reactions: Jay
@manojrk
I'm from Chennai.
I'm getting very low speed in International servers.
How to approach Cherrinet Customer care to fix this?
They closed the complaint without resolving it.

I'm sorry there is little or no chance of getting it fixed. I had to create a cancellation request every time the speed went down to get an actual engineer to address my concern and eventually I got tired and gave up. These guys sure have enough International bandwidth but don't seem to have the expertise to use it properly.

Back