Cricket is detrimental for the Nation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 9,540
Just because of cricket where in we were not even good till 2008 we dont show any interest in other sport and are totally obsessed with this sport.

It's not that we don't have interest in other sports.
Example : Football is also followed by many people in India, but who is going to watch it, India ranks nowhere ! Lots of people follow EPL,UEFA, Spanish football tournaments.Similar goes with other sports like tennis,F1 too.

Many people do follow other sports but unfortunately they are not promoted in India. It has become obsession because it is one of the few sports at which India is excelling at intl. level.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Also, I think cricket's fan following will suffer a lot after Sachin retires.

It's not that we don't have interest in other sports.
Example : Football is also followed by many people in India, but who is going to watch it, India ranks nowhere ! Lots of people follow EPL,UEFA, Spanish football tournaments.Similar goes with other sports like tennis,F1 too.

Many people do follow other sports but unfortunately they are not promoted in India. It has become obsession because it is one of the few sports at which India is excelling at intl. level.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Also, I think cricket's fan following will suffer a lot after Sachin retires.

These things are inter related. If you start watching other sports, money and advertising will come in and then the standard increases when more people start watching those sports.

Best example is Tennis. India may not have gud single players but still decent crowds ensure it has good following leading to more people getting interesting in it.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Being said that I assume instead of watching cricket, you have watched the international carrom championship, the kho kho tournament and the arm wrestling championship telecasted live in DD sports last week. :)

My fav sport is Football and I follow it well. There are so many sports to watch in tandem with cricket but Indians are obsessed with just cricket :(

@ donthave....

Tour comments hold true for the people, who follow the game for the sake of following - the bandwagon effect.

But all do not follow it for same reasons.......there are people including me, who genuinely love the game.

The reasons for that vary from -
1) Played that game in the childhood day in & day out....
2) Understanding the game well...
3) Getting to learn few things to be applied in life as well - from the game, and from the RIGHT cricketers as well.
4) India doing well....

And there are many such reasons......

And please dont say that "India is doing well in other sports, then why not follow them??"
My reply is - i do follow those games thru print media atleast. Just that i dont have the craze for them, because the above reasons i listed, are cumulative.....

I havent played Hockey/badminton/Kho-kho/etc as much as cricket - so not that much attachment.

Just because u love football, u cant say cricket is bad. Even i can say Football is bad - hardly people play for their nation......there are bigger fanatics of Football than cricket......

If 1 says that there's violence relating to cricket, then there's double violence relating to football......I READ THIS NEWS: IN US, A MAN KILLED HIS 2/3 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER COZ SHE WAS DISTURBING HIM IN WATCHING A GAME OF FOOTBALL.....

So, if u personally like Football & dont like Cricket, that doesnt mean that Cricket is bad for the nation. Tomorrow if Football becomes a craze here, then there will be double the monetary loss as compared to cricket, that is mentioned in the Article u r supporting.

So, better is - dont try to impose ur personal likes/dislikes - if someone loves a sport, respect it. If not respect, then ATLEAST dont try to degrade that sport.

Jymn2005 is a real fan indeed :DI don't watch T20 or any other match,but, am keen to follow every match of India this world cup, don't know why :|For me, it refreshes my mind, I whistle and shout when some Indian bowler takes wicket :DIt's just fun :D

Yeah i am!! Even if not, i would fight against degradation of a sport......

Coz sport in itself is not bad - its the followers of it who can make it bad or good.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Or to be precise, the manner of playing/following it makes it good/bad!!

@jymn2005 I never mentioned fanaticism or any other things. Infact its known that the site mentioned in the thread is ridiculed throughout twitter and rightly so. Am not defending the article as well.What am trying to say is rather than being obsessive of just one sport we cud do well with many other sports. Never mentioned forcing or any other thing.BTW am a big follower of cricket which I mentioned first and dont remember missing any game for many years (I used to bunk school and watch matches at home with parents!). Its not about hating a sport. I just mean that rather than closing eyes and just chanting cricket, if u open ur eyes (i am generalizing here) there are many other sports which people can enjoy.When u r growing up, if u have options, u try out all sports and recognise which one u do better. Dont think people are provided any opportunities at all these days.

Yeah, agreed with that!!Cricket is loved by many for this reason too - lack of exposure - PLAYING EXPOSURE to other games.And for that matter, these days with shrinking open spaces in Metros & Developing cities, even Cricket is getting played lesser & lesser with every passing day. And people are getting paranoid over children playing games.Just for example - in our Society, although there is some space, but no 1 can dare to play cricket/football/any lively sport......coz the moment someone starts playing, someone from the society dials 100 to call police & they spoil all the party.the scenario for any sport is getting worse by the day - may be in the future, u wont find "True" fans of any game.....just the bandwagon effect will drive the sport in our nation.Cant help it, until people LIKE THE WRITER OF THIS ARTICLE, stop behaving selfish!!

Will give a small example, when I was in school , the principal banned cricket cos students were spending too much time after hours playing in the ground, the security was given instructions not to allow anyone to play.The Result : most of us moved to a smaller non-visible part of the ground & started playing hand-tennis . Thats what will happen, if the game is banned or whatever - people will eventually take up something else - which may or not be better or good.

Agreed!!And when v say lack of space - it applies to all sports.Even when cricket was allowed here, we cudnt even dream of playing football here. thats the plight of sport in our nation!!

If you start looking for negatives, you can find that in all sports and games even Chess (saying that its a game promoting war and killing). Not only sports, any thing like cinemas, music, TV shows, news, politics, religion, books etc etc all have positive and negative sides. If someone tends to be partially blind, and only see the negative side, the word to describe that person is Lunatic (or maybe a Taliban).The one major advantage of cricket in India is that it is the only big thing which unites us all (excepts the Talibans here he he ...), and where we cheer for our country unanimously.

Back