Current State of broadband in our country; Ruled by Evil Empires!

• Thread starter Thread starter tunknown
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 7,339
Pretty sad indeed and it's the one thing I hate about my visits to India. For all our engineering and IT prowess this is just plain inexcusable. As far recouping their Capex, its only a matter of time and even factoring maintenance and upgrades they still will mint money just based on the scale and volume the Indian market offers.

I also believe its a corrupt cartel going on. This "mgcarley" guy of Hayai broadband mentioned he "was asked" by other ISPs (his providers) to reduce speeds/quotas and raise prices. But even this is possible -> India’s broadband woes - is TRAI the culprit? | veracity

Any idea when these companies would start broadband operations in India. Hoping atleast AT&T and BT could revolutionise the broadband market in India.
Do you see these companines coming here and setting up infrastructure like Airtel or just bringing a pipe up to a landing station and selling in bulk ?

The former seems cheaper to do. Given there are only two ppl in the country to buy bulk broadband from .

I also believe its a corrupt cartel going on. This "mgcarley" guy of Hayai broadband mentioned he "was asked" by other ISPs (his providers) to reduce speeds/quotas and raise prices.
Would be helpful if you can link to where he says this. I don't recall him saying that.

Do you see these companines coming here and setting up infrastructure like Airtel or just bringing a pipe up to a landing station and selling in bulk ?

I really doubt any of these companies would want to set up show in India knowing fully well that sooner or later they would have to dish out low cost broadband. Investments are huge and recovery times are crazy, and atleast these companies in particular have bigger investments to make in LTE soon.

Would be helpful if you can link to where he says this. I don't recall him saying that.

I too remember him saying that. My guess would be the Hayai pricing thread.

Right and the reason it cannot happen is the govt. has to unbundle the last mile. That way others can use the existing network to offer services and don't have to make the huge upfront infrastructure investment. This is pretty much what had to happen elsewhere until prices dropped.However whats stopping more ppl offering connections and selling bulk broadband at the landing points ? Could it be the large amount of already existing unlit fiber ?Clearly there is no supply shortage and the big two have more than enough to go around domestically.

If initial investment is such a huge factor in Broadband pricing, then how come countries like Pakistan gets cheaper plans than India?

Here you go...

His post: https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/50998-hayai-broadband-pricing/14/#post369432

My followup: https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/50998-hayai-broadband-pricing/15/#post369438

mgc: We have been asked by our ISP partners if we would please limit the upload speed to 25% of the download speed (for consumers), the simple reason being that \"a synchronous connection suggests a leased line and then you will create turbulence in the market\" - to which I replied \"good.\" If it turns out that they twist my arm on this, this would just mean that on data plans, you'd still upload at 25mbits, but on unlimited plans you would get upload speeds of 512k, 1.25Mbit, 2.5Mbit, 5Mbit, 12.5Mbit and 25Mbit respectively. Private trackers are unlikely to penalize users who have a 4:1 ratio - they mostly do it to users who have 8:1 or higher (eg, to those who try to stop their computer from seeding), so again *IF* I end up having to do this (big IF), then it shouldn't be of too much concern. In addition, it would NOT affect local (Hayai) traffic - THAT would still be 100Mbits each way.

---

vishalrao: Wow, clearest indication of broadband cartelisation in India... price fixing et al Who are these \"ISP Partners\" and is this the first time they are asking such a thing? Were they not aware of your plans to provide symmetrical 100mbits from the start? TRAI/DoT/MRTPC etc all deaf and blind to this of course - assuming they aren't already in on it themselves...

ok, mgc did not say it himself. i sort of extrapolated into the price-fixing area :D

Exactly, what he was saying was he had to just limit upload speed to a fraction of download speed rather than keep download speed (across the board) artifically low which what a cartel as you put it implies :)

from what i see... wholesalers should have no business telling the retailer what he should do in the end market. they are getting the price they are asking for. if the retailer is passing on cheaper rates to the end customer... it is his decision. mgcarley somewhat stated that the ISPs were pushing him to do the needful. in other words, they could have refused to provide him with bandwidth if he would not comply...

Back