does Reliance Big TV DTH stb works on PC

• Thread starter Thread starter madanpg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 9,607
yes it will since big tv has a composite out.

Yes. It does. I have set it up to work with Hauppauge PVR 250 on Vista Media Center. It even changes channels from the PC and records at the set time.Oh, BTW, that is nothing special to Big TV. You could do that with any Dish or Cable service (with STB).

Yes. It does. I have set it up to work with Hauppauge PVR 250 on Vista Media Center. It even changes channels from the PC and records at the set time.

how does it work...explain it please...planning to get a better tv card once i get a multi connection...currently i have a crappy mercury tv card..can u really change channels from pc...how is it...i thought it video out..from stb...how r u able to control stb from a tv card(pc) remote...

connect output of set top box to pc tv tuner input using ordinary cord.what your tv displays throug AV mode is also displayed on your computer screen.this can also be recorded.your VTR may not record the programme when connected to TV because it is didgital.USB when connected to lapdoes not detect the new gadget.

how does it work...explain it please...planning to get a better tv card once i get a multi connection...currently i have a crappy mercury tv card..can u really change channels from pc...how is it...i thought it video out..from stb...how r u able to control stb from a tv card(pc) remote...

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here's the setup I have. If you are using Vista Home Premium then you are almost there.

[*]Vista Media center (comes with Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate) or Windows XP Media Center edition (note: this is not Win XP Pro, it is a different flavour of Win XP but a different OS none the less.)
[*]Hauppauge PVR 350 TV tuner card. (The Hauppauge cards are expensive in India and difficult to get too. You can use vista certified tv tuner card - WHQL)
[*]Windows Media Center Kit (New HP Media Center Remote Control Silver Platinum Kit - eBay (item 300253838727 end time Sep-03-08 12:53:14 PDT)), This includes the USB IR Receiver, Remote and IR Blaster.
[/list]
Procedure

[*]After you installed the TV tuner, connect the USB IR Receiver. Make sure you are able to change the volume etc.
[*]Now connect the Composite out of the STB to the Composite in of the Tuner card. In case you have a S-Video Tuner card then you would need a Composite to S-Video cable that is available from ebay india. (I would actually suggest taking a compsite and a s-video cable and make it yourself for better quality)
[*]Connect one end of the IR Blaster into the IR Receiver and the other end with IR Emitter, connect it to the STB by sticking it.
[*]Now in VMC, you have to set up TV. At this point Vista will ask you if you have a set top box. Select yes and then vista will guide you in setting up the changing of channels. Briefly: It involves teaching the remote codes of the BigTV remote to Media Center.
[*]After you are done setting, then you have the option of downloading the guide from microsoft (MSN India provides the guide). Unfortunately MSN, provides gudie for only 111 channels, while there are more than 300 channles in India. (The good news is that I am in talks with a company that has all the guide information for almost all the 300+ channels. I am convincing them to make it available to the general public. Sorry, I cannot tell you who that company is but you will all know it soon, I hope. I am currently helping them with the guide stuff)
[*]OK, once you have the guide in place you will be all set for setting recordings. You can even setup recording from the internet for your PC to record. The possibilities are limitless. Once you setup the necessary basic stuff I can help you with more useful stuff like automatic commercial skipping and conversion of file formats, streaming to the net etc.
[/list]
Hope you have a wonderful and fruitful Media Center journey like me.:thumbsup:

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here's the setup I have. If you are using Vista Home Premium then you are almost there.

[*]Vista Media center (comes with Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate) or Windows XP Media Center edition (note: this is not Win XP Pro, it is a different flavour of Win XP but a different OS none the less.)
[*]Hauppauge PVR 350 TV tuner card. (The Hauppauge cards are expensive in India and difficult to get too. You can use vista certified tv tuner card - WHQL)
[*]Windows Media Center Kit (New HP Media Center Remote Control Silver Platinum Kit - eBay (item 300253838727 end time Sep-03-08 12:53:14 PDT)), This includes the USB IR Receiver, Remote and IR Blaster.
[/list]
Procedure

[*]After you installed the TV tuner, connect the USB IR Receiver. Make sure you are able to change the volume etc.
[*]Now connect the Composite out of the STB to the Composite in of the Tuner card. In case you have a S-Video Tuner card then you would need a Composite to S-Video cable that is available from ebay india. (I would actually suggest taking a compsite and a s-video cable and make it yourself for better quality)
[*]Connect one end of the IR Blaster into the IR Receiver and the other end with IR Emitter, connect it to the STB by sticking it.
[*]Now in VMC, you have to set up TV. At this point Vista will ask you if you have a set top box. Select yes and then vista will guide you in setting up the changing of channels. Briefly: It involves teaching the remote codes of the BigTV remote to Media Center.
[*]After you are done setting, then you have the option of downloading the guide from microsoft (MSN India provides the guide). Unfortunately MSN, provides gudie for only 111 channels, while there are more than 300 channles in India. (The good news is that I am in talks with a company that has all the guide information for almost all the 300+ channels. I am convincing them to make it available to the general public. Sorry, I cannot tell you who that company is but you will all know it soon, I hope. I am currently helping them with the guide stuff)
[*]OK, once you have the guide in place you will be all set for setting recordings. You can even setup recording from the internet for your PC to record. The possibilities are limitless. Once you setup the necessary basic stuff I can help you with more useful stuff like automatic commercial skipping and conversion of file formats, streaming to the net etc.
[/list]
Hope you have a wonderful and fruitful Media Center journey like me.:thumbsup:
I'm also planning to buy a good tv tuner. will big tv work on pinnacle pctv pro ?

The PVR 350 costed me around 7,500 as I had it shipped direct from Hauppauge Singapore.Any TV card that is Vista supported will work (WHQL). Hauppauge PVR 150 MCE Kit is a good option. You can find it on online forums' deals sections (Erodov and Tech Enclave) for around Rs. 2000. This includes the Remote and IR blaster.

Back