Just finished watching it. Some spoilers below, continue reading at your own peril :

First impressions - the series seems alright, nothing special as of now. A fresh out of rehab SH just doesn't cut it for me. The plot seemed average and gives the impression that CSI and this show share the same set of writers. The acting is quite good, Lucy Liu as Watson doesn't seem weird at all. Now, coming to the comparisons with BBC's version of the show, and I have to say that Moffat and Co. have set the bar pretty high, for this show isn't a patch on Sherlock. I remember how good Sherlock's pilot was, Elementary's just wasn't of that level :( That said, I'm still interested in the direction it'll take over the course of the next few episodes.

Something I found on the interwebz -

@balajik
Fox has been known to do that for quite sometime, to send out feelers for the show before the actual premiere, hence my post ;)

man. the two different character sets is going to confuse the shite out of me. would avoid it for now :D

do not like the characters already. i mean if someone makes an amazing copy of doctor who, it just would not work for me! :D maybe after a year or two if it survives for that long :D

hehe. A year or two is quite a long time :PI'm pretty sure it'll make it through the first season, early reaction seems quite positive from what I gather.

@balajik
Fox has been known to do that for quite sometime, to send out feelers for the show before the actual premiere, hence my post ;)
FOX and NBC have released previews on their website or Hulu. They won't deliberately leak it.

Any way, this seems to be a DVD Screener that got leaked. Now, Screeners are sent out to critics. One of them probably leaked it.

I haven't seen it yet. I don't watch anything short of 720p. Elementary will not live up to Sherlock and the comparisons aren't going to stop. While the BBC does 3 episodes in an year or two, CBS model does 22 episodes per year. Elementary will fit right into their network. It airs at 10pm on Thursday on which The Big Bang Theory airs at 8pm, Two and a Half Men airs at 8:30pm and Person of Interest airs at 9pm. All of them are rating monsters. This is what CBS would want to call a super Thursday (just like how NBC had must-see Thursdays in the 90s where they had shows like Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace etc.). As long as the rating is good, this show is going to last a long time unless the show is pathetic. Time will tell.

do not like the characters already. i mean if someone makes an amazing copy of doctor who, it just would not work for me! :D

maybe after a year or two if it survives for that long :D

But this isn't Doctor Who. If we take that approach, Basil Rathbone is the real Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch is not. In the present times, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock already existed when Moffat decided to do his version of Sherlock.

Elementary must be treated on it's own. For that matter, CBS has been adapting Shelock Holmes into their crime procedurals for a while now. What do you think is Fox's House M.D.? Dr. Gregory House is based on Sherlock Holmes character. His friend is Dr. James Wilson. Notice how the last names House and Wilson has the same initials as Holmes and Watson?

^^ Add No mystery = No Science of deductionReview after e02: mundane show.. need more detective stuff.. not fights between holmes & joanguess have to drop it if it doesn't improve in an ep or two

E01: I thought it was decent for a standard CBS procedural. I thought Jonny Lee Miller was good as Sherlock but Lucy Liu was bland as Watson. One flaw in this pilot is that it was Watson who solved the crime by spotting the "rice allergy" and linking it with the rice bag. You don't normally see that happening with The Mentalist. Also Sherlock says that "I hate it when I'm right." Sherlock is a narcissist. He always thinks he's right. I'll continue watching for now.E02: I liked it. My only complaint is the continued presence of AA/NA support group meeting on American shows. This has grown old. But, it led to the salvation of this week's case.

^^ Add No mystery = No Science of deduction

Review after e02: mundane show.. need more detective stuff.. not fights between holmes & joan
guess have to drop it if it doesn't improve in an ep or two
Have to agree with that... Less than halfway through the episode I guessed the killer & how the killer was doing it... Watched till the end hoping I would be suprised... Alas didnt happen... Its a shame really coz I actually liked Jonny Lee Miller as sherlock...

Back