ESPN India to be rebranded as Fox Sports

• Thread starter Thread starter anubhav11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 5,964
I haven't seen the channel, but is it Asia based? Is it part of the JV? If so, then maybe yes. If not, then no, because ESPN has lots of other sporting channels & stuff across the World

Dont know where its based, but its there for sure. Its there in D2h. And its a total waste of a channel IMO. Even if its not of the JV, i dont think ESPN will have the permission to operate independently in India......or will they?

I do not know how it works, but I am saying, as long it as not part of the JV, the status does not change, in other words it can continue. Sports channel have more leeway I believe & hence ESPN can probably pick up some other junior partner & launch. But since Star is buying them out (Maybe some big $$$), they are highly likely to have a clause which will say that ESPN will not try launching channel in India for specified duration or will not try to compete for rights existingly held by the JV etc.

Why would that happen? They would probably rename it to Star Prime, Star Sports+, Star Action Sports or something of that sort.

It could very well go! I havent read any of the links, so i dont have much details......but the JV is splitting for sure.@ Sabir...But what if ESPN takes the rights for the stuff shown on ESPN alongwith the split? I dont think Star will be having any sort of influence over what ESPN used to get outside India.

If they have enough content for 3 channels - With India rights in addition, then I do not see the need for it go. Rename - Yes, But go - I wonder.

I think many have not understood the nature of the deal. Star is taking over (and not splitting) the ESPN properties in Asia. That means that ll ESPN-STar branding would be renamed as Star. ESPN and ESPN HD channels would be renamed to get the Star branding. All rights that ESS held in the region would automatically get transferred to Star. For example England and Aussie cricket rights jointly held by ESS would be transferred to STar. Similarly F1 rights.This is more like the Sony-Ericsson deal in which Sony bought out all stake from Ericsson. All SE products developed/marketed after the deal are now are re-branded Sony.

Yes. vrij is rght, @ Jaymin - I missed your last point yesterday, otherwise would have said the same as vrij above

So its just exit of ESPN "brand" from India, but all broadcast would continue by existing channels. Star Sports and Star Cricket would continue as earlier, ESPN may be rebranded as mentioned above by Sabir.

But I guess after few years rights hold by ESPN (US Sports that are broadcast) may be given to any Sports channel, or even ESPN may make re-entry :)
Already Disney (owner of ESPN) now owns Indian network UTV.

Back