• Views Views 7,137

mailtoviki

...Viki (a) PriYan...
ISP
BSNL
ESPN to provide signals to Sun Direct at half rates

Tuesday - Dec 09, 2008
Televisionpoint.com Correspondent | Mumbai

ESPN Software India has agreed to comply with the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) directive to provide its signals to Sun Direct at half the cable rates. With this ends the stand-off between the sports broadcaster and the DTH service provider.

ESPN replied to the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) on December 8 that it was now willing to abide by the TDSAT order on providing its signals to Sun Direct at half the cable rates as specified by TRAI.

The decision taken by ESPN has come as a surprise. When contacted, ESPN spokespersons refused to make any comments, saying 'the matter is sub judice'.

The TDSAT had on November 24, 2008, directed sports broadcaster ESPN to provide its signals to DTH player Sun Direct at half the cable rates, as specified by the TRAI, to which the sports broadcaster protested that this could lead to losses.

Earlier, TRAI had recommended to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to suspend ESPN's downlinking licence for its three channels, ESPN, Star Sports and Star Cricket, alleging that the company had violated pricing regulations by asking DTH operators to pay more than what it charged from non-CAS cable operators.

http://www.televisionpoint.com/news2008/newsfullstory.php?id=1228834730

Now the price would be

ESPN - Rs 19
STAR Sports - Rs 19
STAR Cricket - Rs 16

Total - 54 :)

Great news for SUN Direct customers , isn't it?

Thanks Viki.I am happy now.Poor ESPN:rofl:.They deserve the punishment.;):p:happy: Pls wait untill they revise the price.

Right from begenning ESS has been a controversial media personnel. Earlier while DTH was absent they used to increase prices right at the time of imp matches and we missed a lot of sporting events. Now they are been brought to their knees.:thumb: by TRAI

I think for pricing we need to have official confimartion from ESPN and i feel the prices might be similar to that of TS, Dish TV and Big TV meaning: Star Sports + ESPN = Rs. 40(appx)Star Sports = 30(appx)ESPN = 30(appx)Star Cricket = 25(appx)..

Wow finally a great news for sun direct customers. Lets wait for the new prices.

I think for pricing we need to have official confimartion from ESPN and i feel the prices might be similar to that of TS, Dish TV and Big TV meaning:

Star Sports + ESPN = Rs. 40(appx)
Star Sports = 30(appx)
ESPN = 30(appx)
Star Cricket = 25(appx)..

How do you arrive at SS and ESPN at Rs.30?

How do you arrive at SS and ESPN at Rs.30?

Legal Information

This Reference Interconnect Offer ("RIO"), inter alia, provides broad technical and commercial terms and conditions offered by the Company for interconnection for direct to home platform. Party applying for interconnection shall be hereinafter referred to as "DTH Operator".

The terms and conditions are as under:

A. A-la-carte and Bouquet Rates for DTH Platform
Channel Price (INR) Per Subscriber Home Per Month
ESPN
Star Sports
Star Cricket
ESPN & Star Sports Bouquet
*Company reserves its right, subject to applicable regulations of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (“TRAI”), to revise the Price per Set Top Box per month mentioned herein above. Upon such revision, the DTH Operator (s) agrees and unconditionally undertakes to pay the revised Subscription Fee pro rata from the effective date of such revision.

Legal Information | espnstar.com

I think sun will give it below Rs.60

ESS Price

SS - 33.13
ES - 33.13
SC - 28

SUN Direct's price

SS - 38
ES - 38
SC - 32

Now , After half price offer from ESPN

ESS Price would be

SS - 16.565
ES - 16.565
SC - 14

SUN Direct's price Would

SS - 19
ES - 19
SC - 16

ESS wanted their channels to be added in basic pack, I think SUN Direct has played a trick by announcing ESS add on at higher price in this case.

Back