Fedora Core5 - RELEASED!

• Thread starter Thread starter prathapml
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 7,694
I am downloading it .!!Using FC4 now.Lets see how it is..

fedora is a bloat .. Ita good for use as servers and all but too much a for a home user .

Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
Recommended for graphical: 256MiB  [/b]

Originally posted by prathapml@Mar 21 2006, 11:09 PM
Haha, 256 MB is too much?
[snapback]45326[/snapback]
[/quote]

no for graphics it may not be too much but 128 mb for text mode is way toooooooooo much . there are distros which run great in graphics even at 128 mb ram !! If you really want speed and stability try slackware or vector linux ( slack derivative ) it can work great even at 64mb ram and with xfce desktop running .
And try fedora on 256 mb ram but still it will run slow with kde .. its a good distro if you have 15-20 gb hd space .. good graphic card and a nice cpu and loads of ram .. But on same machine slackware will outperform it for sure :)

Originally posted by uthfull@Mar 21 2006, 11:33 PM
I tried FC4... but somehow I found SUSE 10 better.[snapback]45336[/snapback]
[/quote]Like I already said, the fedora you saw till now, sucked. This release is massively improved.

power-
Did you understand the meaning of what they've put up? They mean to say 128 MB needed for text-mode SETUP!!!!!!! And thats coz it needs to load the install base-flat into memory when it starts - which is fine, as fedora/redhat supports quite a bit of scenarios that other distros don't.

I'm running a RAID5*3 + LVM setup on the server at my work - distros like slackware/ubuntu/gentoo/damn-small-linux, would not quite be able to handle that, and those that do, wont be as easy to manage. Do you remember my outburst here a few months ago, about ubuntu's lack of source/compiling? - LINK

Once installed, core5 can run very well in text-mode with just 16 MB of memory, or even less. So your (distorted) point is? :blink:

does it allow u to select sata drives to install to? fedora 4 doesnt...

fedora is a bloat .. Ita good for use as servers and all but too much a for a home user . [/b]

shouldnt it be the other way arnd? i mean bloat good for home users and not good for servers :P

i installed fedora core 4 from the digit dvd and it screwed up the fstab file had to manually edit.. and then i downloaded it from the internet and that worked fine :rolleyes:

Back