Fivenet New Diwali Plan Rs. 9999 for 1 Year, Upto 10 Mbps speed Select Subscribers Only

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 248
  • Views Views 61,931
Mgcarley,

I was wondering if using high quality Jack pin (tht connects to my computer for connection), is useful to improve quality of connection.

Photo of the jack pin i am speaking abt.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/jackku.jpg/

Mgcarley,

I was wondering if using high quality Jack pin (tht connects to my computer for connection), is useful to improve quality of connection.

Thats Rj 45 Jack! Im not that sure but it may be RJ 11 the pic is blurry

ya the jack is some what larger than Rj45. Rj 11 Is used by isps who provide internet by Cable say Hathway.

Mgcarley,

No, it won't help. There are some cable manufacturers who sell cables with gold-plated connectors, but they do not show any measurable performance increase.

Thats Rj 45 Jack! Im not that sure but it may be RJ 11 the pic is blurry

That's correct.

Maybe you don't wanna make our logo as your avatar just yet ;)

RJ 11 jack.

RJ-11 has only 4 pins.

ya the jack is some what larger than Rj45.
Rj 11 Is used by isps who provide internet by Cable say Hathway.

Actually no. You'll find RJ-11 goes in to the DSL port on the back of an ADSL modem (BSNL, MTNL, Airtel, etc).

RG-6 (co-ax) is probably the cable you're thinking of.

Now u r trying to mislead others.
Its completely wrong what u said,

HATHWAY provides a modem with the RJ45 cable.

Like this:
Which is meant for connecting directly to the laptop, or in the BROADBAND router.

RJ45 is round shape & is thicker than RJ11.
And also RJ11 is used only in DIAL up, or ADSL connections and not cable connections.
OK

HERE's the pic of RJ11:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvmKNd9ZsfWew4bCngj7MZtiDj7a1toFMmGt5UXQVAoIldQ7zhGw

RJ11 is flat like pic above.

In the Hathway connections I've seen, while you get RJ-45 between your cable modem and your PC, up to the cable modem it's RG-6 - the same cable used for TV signals. In some areas this may be different, of course, but my own personal experience with Hathway involved RG-6 and a media convertor made by... Scientific Atlanta.

Maybe you don't wanna make our logo as your avatar just yet ;)
I have already became a fan of hayai's Speeds!

Actually no. You'll find RJ-11 goes in to the DSL port on the back of an ADSL modem (BSNL, MTNL, Airtel, etc).
RG-6 (co-ax) is probably the cable you're thinking of.

Yaa you're Right. i am not familiar with these Dsl Connection and their jacks.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Now u r trying to mislead others.
Its completely wrong what u said,

Happy now?:|

Happy now?:|

Now now, Sach92 was right in this case, even if the misleading was not intentional. There are so many different types of cables Cat3 (phone cable), Cat5e/Cat6 (Ethernet), RG-6 (Coaxial) coupled with so many types of connectors (RJ-11 usually goes on Cat3 and in NZ we also have BT connectors which go at one end of our phone cables, RJ45 usually goes on Cat5e/6, BNC usually goes on RG-6) that it's pretty easy to get confused.

Fiber is worse though. There's SC, LC, Single Mode, Multi Mode, indoor, outdoor, armoured, pigtails, blah blah etc that even I have trouble wrapping my head around them much of the time. I've had to ask more than once what I should be buying based on the equipment in place, which to be honest is a little bit embarrassing.

1 thing i've noticed that the LANDLINE phone cable is similiar to that of the ADSL cable.

And once i tried to attach my landline's from INTERNET jack to my computer there was no DIAL tone, so that means we cannot use PHONE's cable for ADSL or DIAL UP.

Bcause the phone's cable have about 8 pins whereas the INTERNET cable for DIAL UP, ADSL has 4 pins, but they look alike, that u might end up purchasing the wrong cable.

err I m pretty sure ADSL cable is the same as ur normal landline phone line... I dont no wht u are implying in this post but if u remove ur Phoneline from ur landline phone & put it into ur ADSL modem u should be use it just fine... The same is true vice versa as in u should get a dialtone on ur ADSL line that goes into ur modem... Not sure if its diff in Reliance but I m confirm that in both BSNL & MTNL this is the case... No dailtone on ur line(the one going into ur modem or ur Phone) normally means ur phone is dead ie u cant make/receive calls or connect to the net...

1 thing i've noticed that the LANDLINE phone cable is similiar to that of the ADSL cable.

That's no coincidence - they're the same cable, and they are interchangable.

And once i tried to attach my landline's from INTERNET jack to my computer there was no DIAL tone, so that means we cannot use PHONE's cable for ADSL or DIAL UP.

Without getting in to complicated things, it's possible that you didn't have actual telephone service on that line, but you do have ADSL service (they're different kinds of signals).

Also, you would need an ADSL filter on the line that you use to receive phone calls (if they're the same line), otherwise every time someone makes a call, the ADSL will disconnect (and it's not supposed to, hence the filters).

Bcause the phone's cable have about 8 pins whereas the INTERNET cable for DIAL UP, ADSL has 4 pins, but they look alike, that u might end up purchasing the wrong cable.

Both phone and ADSL cables have 4 pins, use the same jack and plug type (RJ-11). Ethernet cables have 8 pins. It's very difficult to purchase the wrong cable unless you're given the wrong advice by the person selling it to you.

err I m pretty sure ADSL cable is the same as ur normal landline phone line... I dont no wht u are implying in this post but if u remove ur Phoneline from ur landline phone & put it into ur ADSL modem u should be use it just fine... The same is true vice versa as in u should get a dialtone on ur ADSL line that goes into ur modem... Not sure if its diff in Reliance but I m confirm that in both BSNL & MTNL this is the case... No dailtone on ur line(the one going into ur modem or ur Phone) normally means ur phone is dead ie u cant make/receive calls or connect to the net...

Not always - it's also possible that those without landline service won't get a dialtone.

In my house, I've had it wired as such that I have a jack for ADSL and a jack for phone service (we have an alarm system which uses the phoneline to communicate with the office, so it was necessary to have it done that way - bonus is, we don't need the ADSL filters because it's already done inside the ADSL jackpoint).

However, since I've switched my phone system over to VOIP (which obviously runs over the broadband connection), the phone jack no longer gives a dialtone - this is instead done by the VOIP adapter that's plugged in to the ADSL router. Despite no dialtone, we still have broadband service.

If we switched back to an analogue line from the VOIP system, we'd get a dialtone again (but frankly, in this country it's not worth doing since it's $30 more than I pay now, and has less features: no caller ID, no 3-way calling, no voicemail etc).

EDIT: NO 8 pins, sorry my mistake.

No, there are some various types of RJ11 cable sold in UAE, some come with 2 pin other come with 4 pin, AND so what i mean to say is that 4 pin are mostly for LANDLINES, and 2 pins are for INTERNET purpose like DIAL UP etc.

So my point of saying is that 4 pin DID'nt work once while i connected it for internet in UAE, maybe IN INDIA its different.
2 pin only works for dial up in UAE, ADSL i didn't check.

RJ-11 has 4 available pins, but often only pins 2&3 are actually wired or used, since that's all that's needed for analogue systems (such as dialup, normal phones and ADSL). 4 pins comes in handy for higher-bandwidth services like VDSL.

The UAE doesn't make it's own standards. A cable with 4 pins connected should have worked, even in the UAE.

I should also point out that even in Ethernet, out of 8 pins, only 4 are used (1,2,3 and 6)

Back