Getting a new connection at Mahim, Mumbai...

• Thread starter Thread starter aalaap
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 10,054
Whoa!

I was just about to go to the QCSC to find out why no one forwarded my application for the wireless modem and the MTNL guy (Yadav) turned up at my place! WITH THE MODEM! :-P

The modem is a UTStarcom WA3002-G1 Wireless ADSL2+ modem. It looks quite nice!

http://twitpic.com/1p8rt

http://twitpic.com/1p8qq

:yahoo:

I hooked it up to the iMac via wired LAN first. The wireless network was on, unsecured. But there was no ADSL signal! He switched the modem with another one (exact same model), but there's still no sign of the ADSL indicator light coming on.

He made a few calls to the centre and spoke a lot of Bhojpuri and ultimately figured out that they haven't "enabled some jumper" so the connection isn't live. He asked them to put it on and waited.

Then he got another call for some other customer, so he said he'd go and get that stuff done while this ADSL signal comes on and he'd configure it after that.

Just as he left, I got a call on the landline from the centre and the guy said "thoda problem hai" and that the connection won't be activated today.

AS IF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:frown:

EDIT: Someone just called from MTNL and said that they're working on the line and it'll start working "in some time"...

This is the thing about MTNL, some people get very lucky with it and some guys keep beating around the bush...

Whoa!

I was just about to go to the QCSC to find out why no one forwarded my application for the wireless modem and the MTNL guy (Yadav) turned up at my place! WITH THE MODEM! :-P

Just curious is this 'Yadav' chap, middle aged slightly podgy + glasses, with a topiwalla sidekick (they usually go together). If so don't let them touch your comp as they are basically linesmen turned broadband experts :O:hysterical::O. They habit the Sitladevi Temple Rd , Moghul Lane area. :)

yep! same guy! though there was no topi wala around ..and lol about touching the comp... he was wondering where my CPU is .. i have a 20" iMac ... i told him.. nahi hai LOL:p

good to hear that your work is "almost" donei had applied for mtnl a couple of years back & it took them 6 months to provide me with the connection, which i refused then.i'm planning to apply again tomorrow, hopefully it wont be so long nowby the way, the Linksys WAG200G router which you quoted as rs. 4400 is less than 3300. so checkout your prices.

Still no ADSL signal on my modem... the guy keeps doing some wiring stuff at different points - in the box outside my house, at those mtnl "cupboards" near the area on the street and other places - but there is still no signal!! it's as dead as a mobile phone at the bottom of the sea!:confused:

Looks like MTNL seems to believe that 'waiting makes the heart grow fonder' :p. I have a suspicion that your a/c at the server end has not been made yet, that's why that error.

BTW I have seen 'Yadav' in action & he can try to shove any plug into any socket, (no puns intended) so be careful that he does not 'short' your equipment. :)

i went to book a new connection at andheri (e) wilson exchange and this was my experience:

i go to the triband booking counter at about 2:30 p.m., the babu is sleeping
i wake him up & give the form.

the form says DSL NU 849.
he tries to find the plan but is unable to find it on the comp. after about 3-4 min says i found it.
takes a print out. the print out says DSL NU 590.

now the best part starts....

i tell him i want NU 849 & u have given me NU 590
he says this is our code. u wont understand. this is plan NU 849 only. then a lady comes next to him & says thats correct :wall:

then i ask him how many days will it take.
he says, "soon"
i ask again "give me some idea. a week, two weeks or a month?"
he says "hafta lag sakta hai................ do hafta lag sakta hai................. shayad mahina bhi lag jaye....." (can take a week...............perhaps two weeks...............can also be a month)

gosh!!! i hope they give me the connection soon.

for now i'm sticking to NU 590. lets see if i can get 2 mbps for this rate. luck by chance:whistle:

Show that F..... the printout of their tariff page to familiarize him about what his company is offering. Also write to the ED about your experience, many butts may kicked & you might get your connection v quickly :). And by 'hafta lag sakta hai................ do hafta lag sakta hai' I hope he meant a week not the desi variety.

Back