Good Performance, Low Noise, Non Gaming Desktop!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 144
  • Views Views 12,255

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So... With all three HDDs failing, I guess it's time to plan for a new desktop instead of risking more hard disks failure.

My basic requirement is quite simple... Need a high performance machine. I do not game but I do have a 30" display that requires a Dual-DVI input for native resolution.
I currently have a quad core AMD processor with a CM fan. 8GB RAM. 3 HDDs (500GB, 1TB, 3TB). I would be sending in the drives still under warranty for replacements or whatever. From what I understand only the 3TB WD HDD is still under warranty.

So... What I am looking for here?

I would prefer a compact cabinet like I got for my uncle. But I am not sure if it is suitable for my needs. Need something that can survive for 3-4 years. Budget? Would prefer to spend less than 40K because anything above would be obscene for what I do with it.

I would try to recycle as many parts as possible but I do not see the point really. The internals in this box right now are at least 4 years old today except for the hard drives and RAM.
So... This is what I want...
High quality cabinet
High quality PSU
A motherboard with USB 3 ports
Mid-range processor
8GB RAM (I assume my existing sticks would work fine?)
1 SSD for OS with 1 large capacity drive for data (or 1 hybrid with 1 data drive)
A low-end or mid-range GFX card that can support the display and has a decent fan!
This is what I have right now:

@Nishant
That kind of arrangement is easier with a semi/full modular power supply.
Another thing is that the hard drives have to be mounted backwards.
@chromaniac
Do you have front mounted fans?
If you do, then taking cables from behind will indeed help a lot. It's easy; I've done it a couple of times.
Cooler Master make good cases, CPU coolers, and thermal compound paste.
However, their power supplies are not so good.

Upvote 0
@chromaniac which processor and mobo are you using :)

Upvote 0
15 actually, you need to buy some other upgraded components, and beef them up for headroom for the future.. I have lists of the two if you want to see :)
The graphics card is the single most expensive component of the gamer's PC. People usually buy cheap graphics cards(like 2500 or so) and then suffer as the card doesn't play any games smoothly, or in very low resolution.

Upvote 0

Back