Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,770
I am planning to replace my Lumia 620. I am considering either Lumia 830 or Nexus 5. So asked here.
I am not interested in Chinese brands like Xiaomi/OnePlus (no hard feelings please). Moto X 2014 is also good option.

I am also worried about Nexus or Moto regarding any repairs. How easy it would be like Nokia, as Nokia has service centers at many place, but what about Nexus or Moto for any breakage.
offtopic: how has your experience been with win phones?

^^^ I have used Samsung Omnia W and Nokia Lumia 620 for past 3 years. My Windows Phone experience is quite good, and phone is very good as "phone". It never lags/hangs, battery life is excellent (Lumia 620). It also has most of apps which I need. Only sometimes I feel some apps should have been better like their Android/iOS versions e.g. Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter apps do what they have to do, but yet lack some features.

They have a brand new section for Nexus devices with all new devices listed on it, the exception being 'old' Nexus 5! Nexus 7 is out of stock and delisted from play store and this new microsite, while Nexus 5 continues to be on sale. They have also featured Nexus 5 in one of the newest android commercial touting it as smaller device in android family. It looks like Google intend to sell Nexus 5 alongside new Nexus devices for a longer time than initially expected, maybe because its the only Nexus device in market right now, which you can call a 'phone' without hesitation (and not a phablet) or perhaps a really well capable phone, even by today's standards. This device also fits well in Google's device for everyone philosophy. Add higher than expected pricing of Nexus 6 and already aggressive pricing of Nexus 5 to the equation, everything starts to fit in square.

I am expecting a silent launch of 64GB version of Nexus 5 and reduction in price for current versions.

Last edited:
Nexus 5 is still a best phone after 1 year of launch. If only it had good camera...

Camera is very much usable when HDR+ mode is used. Sometimes, I can't believe it has just 8MP camera. One makes perception about camera from comparison and I come across new devices almost on daily basis. I can safely say that its on par with many of today's mid to high range devices.

Primary thing of concern with Nexus 5 is low battery backup. That's also somehow compensated by quick charging time. You can read technical details behind it on Anandtech but its amazing. However, new Nexus 6 beats Nexus 5 in this department. Glad that Google understand importance of quick charging.

Google Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 both comes with the Rapid Charging technology. I thought Rapid Charging was a Qualcomm technology. But since Nexus 9 comes with a Nvidia processor, I guess they have their own technology for the same.

According to Anandtech, some different component attributes to that quick charging factor and same is used in LG G3 and Moto X 2nd generation.

Yes, I am following this quick charge technology from Qualcomm since long but newer seen or heard in action to make implications that what we are talking is result of Qualcomm's tech, as not all devices having latest Snapdragon chipset have comparable charging time (factoring in battery capacity and charger o/p)

Back