[Guide] How to host webservers on Jio Fiber, accessible to IPv4 clients

• Thread starter Thread starter poiasd
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies 89
  • Views Views 44,579
As you might know, Jio does not offer static IPv4, and it is not easy to apply for port forwarding (for Camera etc. purposes). However, they do provide IPv6 and this can be used for hosting web servers.

To allow IPv6 incoming connections to your device (e.g. a PC running nginx), you need to disable all firewall rules in Jio Router. (At least initially for ease of setup / troubleshooting - once you get it working you can slowly tighten it up).

Your device on which you want to host must be connected to your Jio router directly (Wifi or LAN) and must have IPv6 assigned from the Jio router's DHCP.
On your device running webserver (nginx, plex, whatever), make sure it is bound to localhost or the IPv6 equivalent (NOT 127.0.0.1 - this wont allow IPv6 connectivity). Usually apps bind to all network interfaces so you should be fine.

From command prompt (or equivalent), Type ipconfig all (if you're on linux you probably know the commands - but it should be ifconfig), and view your IPv6 address. This is indeed your "Public IPv6". Let us assume it is 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

If your server is running on port 80, for example, you can now, from another client, access it by specifying a URL [2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]:80. But this is limited to IPv6 clients only.

For IPv4, you need a domain name. Freenom offers free '.tk', but I'd recommend spend $1 and get a .xyz or something from namecheap. With a domain name, you can setup a cloudflare website, and have the DNS AAAA record point to your IPv6 (no A record).

E.g. AAAA record for 'randomdomain.xyz' -> 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

Set cloudflare proxy for the domain to "On". Now cloudflare will act as an automatic gateway, and IPv4 only clients can go to randomdomain.xyz, and access cloudflare over IPv4, which itself will connect to you over IPv6.

Using this method I was able to run a webserver, and had a friend in U.S. download from me at ~90Mbps (My Jio Speed is 100Mbps). This was probably helped by routing over Cloudflares network.

One caveat is - you cannot run services like FTP, SSH etc over Cloudflare, only web servers (on port 80 and 443 only, too). But for hosting Plex or something it works great.

Have fun!

Do you mean ipv6 is now working on port 80?
If it works on port 80 , it should for any port.
What type of server is used to listen on port 80.
You will need to explain what have you tried

I don’t have any problems with any port on ipv6. I can connect on different ports other than 80.
if you are able to connect on port 80 , it should allow you to on other ports.
Please share the following
1. What is the webserver (or service) used to listen on port 80 or any other port.
2. From inside your Jio Fibre either on Wi-Fi or lan are you able to connect on different ports.
3. Share again a print screen of your firewall rule of the jio router.
4. Have you made sure if using windows OS there is no firewall that’s enabled at least for testing.

also your initial testing should from a client running ipv6 and not via cloud fire, as that has its own limitations on ports other than 80 ,443

also your initial testing should from a client running ipv6 and not via cloud fire, as that has its own limitations on ports other than 80 ,443
I am going to reverse proxy to a cname domain, I get an error saying that DNS challenge has failed when i try to create an SSL cert for the proxy host, i.e it means that my address is not reachable

To reach your ipv6 address that is listening on a different port other than 80 and 443 , the above method will not work.
Your client device should be having a reachable ipv6 address and the ipv6test should all be green on this device.

Any other method of connecting to an ipv6 address will work only on port 80 and 443.

is there a reason you are going through a reverse proxy to a cname domain?

is there a reason you are going through a reverse proxy to a cname domain?
I am proxying because I want to host my Minecraft server and jellyfin server and also I can connect to my open media vault page outside my house using ipv6 and domain which is pointing to it.

Ok unfortunately in that case ipv6 will not be a solution for you as proxy on ports other than 80, 443 may not work.
If you just plan to host 2 servers on different ports your best option is to use ipv4 and do port forwarding. My earlier first post i have given detailed instructions on how this can be achieved.

Back